What's new

Anyone here old enough to remember what this was...? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Okay, pretty obscure. But I've been amazed at what people on this forum have been able to tell me about other things I'm seeking, so here goes...

Back in the early to mid fifties, there was a children's toy product which consisted of a carousel-shaped dome fitted with small, down-angled mirrors all around it which was placed on the spindel of a 45-rpm record player. The toy came with maybe a half-dozen special records which had, instead of a traditional label, a series of small drawings which were slightly different from one to the next all the way around. When the player was turned on and one looked into the mirrors on the carousel, the image appeared to be moving - same as when successive animation cels are projected through a shutter.

Did/DOES anyone own one of these and, if so, what was it called? I've been on eBay and various toy collectors' sites for ages off and on searching for one of these.

Michael_T

Second Unit
I had one of these, when I was probably 7 or 8. Sorry, though, I can't remember the name of what it was.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
I know they must have had them through the early 70's because I remember having one as a kid too. Sorry don't know the name of it though.

Laters,
Jeff

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
My dad was a record (music) distributor in NYC and sold those. I was too old at the time to want one. I think it was called the "Magic Mirror" record adapter.

In the mid 60s there was another children's player called "Show 'N Tell". it was manufactured by GE. It had appoximately an 8 inch rear projection screen in the front with a turntable on top. You placed the special 7" 33 1/3 record on top, dropped the tone arm after you inserted a slide strip (about 12, 16mm pics) in the slot on top and with every 20 or so revolutions the picture would change on the screen. I worked for the company that produced the music and adapted some of the stories for the discs.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for everyone's help! Turns out what I've been looking for is the Red Raven Movie Records kit. I'll try to find one on eBay or somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks