What's new

Anyone have "New York City" (Peter Malick Group w/Norah Jones)? (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I saw this CD today at Target for $10 and seeing as how Norah Jones name was featured on the cover, I thought I'd look into it. I was just curious if anybody had it and what they thought. AMG gave it 4 stars and here's what they had to say about it:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=A7g67gjur46ic

The story goes that, in 2000, while pianist/vocalist Norah Jones was playing regularly at the Living Room in New York's Lower East Side and well before she earned eight Grammys, she received an invitation to sing some blues with guitarist Peter Malick and his band. Reluctantly, Jones admitted to a paucity of blues-singing experience. Thankfully, Malick was persistent. Listening to the rootsy, organic beauty evidenced on New York City, you'd never know Jones hadn't ever sung the blues. Inspired by the classic work of artists such as Ray Charles and Billie Holiday, New York City is a kind of singer/songwriter blues album featuring Jones' particularly haunting vocal style. It's more mainstream than Come Away With Me, but fans of that album should cotton easily to Jones' work here. Conceptualized around the post-9/11 title track, most of Malick's songs are contemporary blues reminiscent of the work of Bonnie Raitt and Eric Clapton. Notably, "Strange Transmissions," a melancholy and atmospheric profession of a love that just can't be denied, showcases Jones as mellow blues diva, while "Heart of Mine" finds the pianist's breathy style perfectly suited to the Bob Dylan nugget. As for leader Malick, he takes the vocal duties on "Things You Don't Have to Do" and graces most of the tracks with his thoughtful and tempered guitar sound.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Some first impressions of the music...I picked up this CD tonight and although it only has 6 songs (#7 is a radio edit of the first track), it's catchy at first listen. While it's good just to hear Norah Jones on some newer tracks, the band is tight, but relaxed with Peter Malick's bluesy, atmospheric guitarwork providing a nice backdrop. I particularly enjoyed hearing Norah on some uptempo numbers as it displays her versatility and differs from what you have come to expect from her music. The recording is not equal to the quality on "Come Away With Me", but it sounds good if less "dry" than CAWM. You may want to stream or download the title track and, if it strikes your fancy, pick it up.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks