What's new

Anyone have a whole-house surge protector? (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I got a flyer in the mail today from my power company advertising a whole-house surge protector. While I have heard of them before, I have never heard from someone who has used/is using one. It runs $9.99 per month. To me, that's not too bad of a price to know that your gear is well protected. Any houghts?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
My understanding is that it isn't really a surge protector like most people think of one.

It's a lightning arrestor in your electric meter, and an insurance policy.

Plus, it does nothing about surges generated within the house - airconditioner compressors cycling, your big CNC router in the basement, or whatever.

Leo Kerr

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Yes and I'll give a more thorough answer when I can. In the meantime Ron, call them up and ask if it also protects the phone and incoming cable and if they know how many joules it is.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Okay; I was going on what I remembered when our local power company began offering it... in our case, it's essentially a pair of (for lack of a better term) fuses in the electric meter.

Leo Kerr

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, any chance of posting the specs for what they are offering?

I just lost my microwave, probably my drier, and 4 lights to a bad electrical storm. Fortunately my kids know the "storm drill" and had all of the PCs and the tv unplugged.

First time I've ever taken an electrical hit that knocked things out.

I wonder just how effective their surge protector is? I confess, the whole house protection intrigues me....

-Pus

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks