What's new

Anyone got the new RCA HD-DVD? (1 Viewer)

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
Just wondering your thoughts on it. I'm considering this along with the Toshiba HD-A1, seeing as how I hear they're both esentially the same units.

But I don't know if the RCA incorporates Toshiba's v2.0 firmware update, and if not, if it's even available for the RCA?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The Toshiba HD-A1 is the same as the Wal-Mart RCA HD-DVD player. The internal parts are exactly the same. The Toshiba HD-A1's firmware upgrades are available before the RCA ones, and they aren't compatible.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not true at all. Firmware updates for the Toshiba HD-A1 work just fine on the RCA. Quite a few people over at AVS Forum have been using the Tosh firmware on their RCA players. The kicker is that you have to apply the update via a burned CD-R, since the RCA will only connect to RCA's servers when doing a firmware update via Ethernet. And once you've applied the Toshiba code to the RCA player it will no longer connect to RCA's servers - it goes for Toshiba's.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The 2.0 update just showed up on the RCA server. Their website still states the 1.4 update is the highest available but several folks over at AVS have done an ethernet update on their RCAs in the last few days and gotten the 2.0.

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
Would be very interested to hear your thoughts on it, how you have it connected, etc. Oh, and congrats! :)

i still havent got it yet. customs is not releasing it for some reason. theres an issue about proof of payment. however, i will let you know as soon as i have it have it all hooked up. but that means i would have to sneak it into the house, replace my current dvd player with it and convince my girlfriend that the dvd player doesnt look different.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I updated my RCA to 2.0 via the ethernet cable a couple of weeks ago. Works great, including Dolby TrueHD.

well, i just recieved that RCA HDV5000 this afternoon. i immediately opened up the UPS box which actually had my new toy in it. after thoroughly inspecting all the contents of the box, i hooked it up to my Panasonic TH-58PX60 using a BJC hdmi cable. for audio, using BJC multi-channel cables, i connected the RCA to my Onkyo TX-NR901 which are connected to my Velodyne Deco speakers in a 7.1 setup. i chose terminator 3 to be the first movie to watch. for picture quality, i thought it looked great in SD. but in HD, WOW! just amazing. awesome. i am very impressed. not only with the PQ but with the audio as well. its funny how you noticed new things, especially sounds in a movies you watched countless times. its like watching it for the first time. of course i didnt get to finish the movie, as my girfriend asked why i was watching t3. so i put in corpse bride for her. and to my surprise, it was equally impressive. beautiful colors. the little musical parts in the movie were also amazing as well as entertaining. i am extremely happy with my purchase. excellent machine and excellent value. and to think i was so close to buying the samsung bluray for twice as much. i am definitely not disappointed at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks