What's new

Anyone got any opinions on Wings? (1 Viewer)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
One of the more featherweight but still highly enjoyable 80s sitcoms, a joy and a hoot and very much good for the badly needed laugh we are sorely missing from our television viewing today. Is it just me, or does virtually EVERY sitcom on the tube today make Wings seem like Citizen Kane? I suppose that makes Cheers the Lawrence of Arabia and The Golden Girls, the Gone with The Wind. As for Mary Tyler Moore and All In the Family - they are in a class apart. Ditto for the sadly underrated and rarely seen Lou Grant. With honorable mention to The Jeffersons, Laverne & Shirley, Happy Days, One Day at a Time, Empty Nest, Amen, and, 227.

I can't watch today's sitcom without feeling my I.Q. is exponentially plummeting into the abyss. No Big Bang, 2 Broke Girls, or any of that other filth and dreck passed off as (choke) humor. Sorry, but crotch jokes and stories about bad sexual experiences don't make me want to tune in. There's more to life than navel gazing. Give me an intelligent, barb-laden good ole fashion play on words every day. Where is the wit in today's TV rom coms. It's not there.

Last edited:

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I marathon the 'Wings' Christmas episodes every December. And there's a Halloween show, "The Gift of Life" from the final season, that's as funny as any show they ever did.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I just ordered Wings' on DVD. Never caught it except for the occasional snippet while channel surfing. Look forward to watching it.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I can't watch today's sitcom without feeling my I.Q. is exponentially plummeting into the abyss. No Big Bang, 2 Broke Girls, or any of that other filth and dreck passed off as (choke) humor. Sorry, but crotch jokes and stories about bad sexual experiences don't make me want to tune in. There's more to life than navel gazing. Give me an intelligent, barb-laden good ole fashion play on words every day. Where is the wit in today's TV rom coms. It's not there.

Agreed. The only modern day sitcom I watched where I laughed out loud was King of Queens. Love that show.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
So Mill Creek is putting out a smorgasbord of 90s comedy in the first 20 episodes of Wings, The Larry Sanders Show and Just Shoot Me? I wonder who came up with that idea? Pricing it at $20 would leave me to say - who cares who thought of it - I'm in!
Of course they'll be crammed onto 9 or 10 discs, but that's a great way to get a fix of series that i'm not so willing to buy a full package of (beyond Larry Sanders, which I liked a lot but just never got around buying)...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks