What's new

Anyone ever change there stock IEC power cords? (1 Viewer)

HankM

Second Unit
I have a Denon AVR-5700 and just bought a power cord from Music Direct. I'm trying Custom Power Cord Company's Model 11, it was $269.99 for 5ft. I was gonna put this cord on my Sony SCD-777ES SACD player but the salesman told me to try it out on my receiver first.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Hank, I have never tried aftermarket power cords, but have considered trying one on my SCD-777ES. Unfortunately, my NAD integrated amp does not have a detachable power cord. Nevertheless, I have been told many times that front-end components benefit more from aftermarket power cords than do amps. The simple thing to do is try the cord on your Denon '5700 and '777ES and see which, if either, benefits more from it. The trap that you could find yourself in, of course, is if you find that both benefit signifincantly from the aftermarket power cord such that you feel the "need" to buy a second one.
You may also consider posting this question on Audio Asylum's (www.audioasylum.com) Cable Asylum board. There are a lot of people there knowledgable with power cords.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
All of my equipment that has an IEC connector has an aftermarket power cord on it. Even a subwoofer. They get one the minute the box is opened. I dont use pack-in interconnects and I dont use pack-in power cords unless I am left with no other option.

I would guess I have near 2,000 dollars or so in power cords in my system.

Mike

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, in your experience, do you find that front-end components benefit more than amps from aftermarket power cords? As I said in my post above, I have read that before. I imagine it depends on the amp and front-end component being considered as well as the power cord(s) being used.

JoshS

Stunt Coordinator
Question:

Is there anyway to modify equiptment with a captured power cord so it will accept an aftermarket power cord?

Sorry if off topic.

Thanks,

Josh

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Kieth....yes, based on my experience the transport or receiver/pre-amp will benefit most.
Josh,
I come to Lancaster County once each year to visit my in-laws. We need to meet up for lunch next time Im up there. Anything but scrapple!
Yes you can remove a captured power cord but I have never done it. I suppose it would be a simple task other than the hole in the unit will be too small for the aftermarket cord to fit through. I think it may void your warranty as well! :)
Mike

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Josh,
It can be done if you are handy with electronics. Otherwise, there are people who make a living modifying components. In case you have in mind replacing the stock power cord on your soon-to-arrive 'C333ES, there are a few people who do mods on this and other SACD players. Replacing power cords is just one thing they do. You can also have the capacitors and other innards upgraded. An individual by the name of Dan Wright does a basic upgrade of the 'C333ES for $350. Other individuals who do these types of modifications are Richard Kern and Ric Schultz. People on the Hi-Rez Highway board on Audio Asylum (www.audioasylum.com) can probably put you in contact with them. A number of people who frequent the Hi-Rez Highway board have had their SACD players modified, and I have yet to hear anyone complain about the results. Apparently, the modifications improve both CD and SACD playback. In any event, I imagine you can have just the stock power cord modified to a detachable IEC socket if you so desire. Just note that any modification voids the warranty.
Hank,
I saw your post on Audio Asylum and noticed that a few people there agreed that a front-end component will benefit more from an aftermarket power cord than will a receiver. However, most people suggested you replace the power cord on the Monster power line conditioner first. Does it have a detachable power cord?
Mike,
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

JoshS

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

That would be great, as I don't get to talk 'stereo' unless I'm online.

Josh

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
What is it at the after market power cord does that the one that comes with it doesn't?

Kevin

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
To install an IEC type cord in a component not set up for
that type of cord, is not difficult, not impossible.. Just
requires some mechanical and electrical skills.
You would need to take the cover off the component and
de-solder the stock zip cord and remove it from the chasis
of the component. Then you would need to get an IEC female
terminal (perhaps rat shack sells them) and then you would
have to cut the metal of the component with a dremel or some
other tool that allows you to work metal. You would need to
do this so that the Female IEC terminal snaps into the chasis.
Of course you would have to cover all of the electronics
with plastic and mask it off.. Any metal shavings left behind
on a PC Board or other electrical component could cause
a melt down. And also you have to factor in if there is
physicaly room to mount the new terminal into the case of
the component.
I'll stick with my stock Zip Cords.. I guess I am not a true
"audiophile" yet :)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to throw something in that I'd been thinking about a while ago. I remember a post on a thread some months ago when someone said something to the effect of "I can't believe that a manufacturer would make a component worth thousands of dollars and then compromise its performance by putting in an inadequate power cord". I guess that statement was somehow supposed to be "proof" that power cords therefore could not make a difference, another of the innumerable "I can't understand it therefore it does not exist" lines of thought.
Anyway, here's the thought I had - a $30,000 Ford Mustang's performance is quite noticable enhanced by adding a $500 aftermarket exhaust, or a $500 aftermarket intake, or any number of mods. So, there's a pretty good example of a manufacturer deciding to put "inadequate" parts on a product - at least, inadequate in the sense in which the term was used in the previous quote, meaning something that wasn't the best possible choice for the component in question.
That's interesting, if you think about it, because very few people think it's strange that someone would take an expensive high-performance car and then spend more money modding it to make it better. However, plenty of people would be aghast if someone bought a $5000 amplifier and then took it apart and started modding that.
And my post isn't about whether power cords make a difference or not, it's about peoples' reactions to modifying audio equipment, so please let's not drag this thread down there :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Saurav,
Please don't use cars as an analogy, that is a very poor
example of manufacturers using specific items. There are
MANY factors that influences a Car manufacturer to use a
certain exhaust design or a certain intake design that an
aftermarket manufacturer may be able to better design. But
when that better intake system causes a catastophic engine
failure due to water ingestion etc etc.... See where I am
going?
A/V manufacturers have no reason NOT to include a quality
power cord. The cost of these thousand dollar cords does
not reflect thier manufacturing costs ($0.30-$20.00 at most)
:)

HankM

Second Unit
Thank's Keith,
Audio Asylum is pretty cool. I will try the cord on my cd player first and then go from there. I might get a new wall duplex too. I like your home theater pics also. How does the Sony 444ES sound with the 777ES cd player?
No, the Monster PLC does not have a detachable cord:angry:

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
There are aftermarket "super parts" for damn near everything you buy. You can by "super bulbs" for your frickin' house lamps, more memory for your computer (why doesnt every computer come all tricked out?), even up-graded shoestrings for goodness sake.

The reason not to use the best quality power-cords is that MOST consumers dont care or dont believe they make any difference so why have the added cost on your product? Manufacturers put shitty interconnects in the box with their gear as well for the same reason, or how about that wonderful FM antenna that comes with a receiver? You think it works as well as an outdoor mast installed one?

I cant think of too many things that couldnt be made better by adding an aftermerket something or other to. Power cords are no different.

They DO alter the sound. I hear it. Some people cannot hear what they do but I am not terribly concerned with other peoples hearing acuity (a variable) or equipment resolution (another variable)....only my own.

Buy what you hear, dont what you cant, no sweat either way. Done.

Mike

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Mike,

Exactly.. No sweat either way.. You swear by them..

I don't and we can still get along just fine.

The only problem I had was with Saurav's comparison

to aftermarket car parts, When you start talking to

me about cars you are speaking my native language and

I "know" why manufacturers place certain restrictions

inline on an engine.. It's not about cost either.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Hank, it's too bad the Monster PLC has a fixed power cord. I don't use the Sony 'V444ES with the '777ES. The 'V444ES is just for DVDs, DVD-Audio, multi-channel SACD, and VHS. I have a stereo system in the same room as the home-theater set-up with an NAD C 370 stereo integrated amp. The '777ES/NAD C 370 combo with my Totem Arro speakers sounds very good. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Here is my question regarding power cords. Like Hank, I too have a Sony SCD-777ES and have considered upgrading the power cord. Audio Advisor has a few power cords available for under $200. At present, I have my '777ES plugged into a Belkin surge protector. Given that I don't want to buy a power line conditioner and don't want to plug the '777ES directly into the wall, would a sub-$200 power cord improve the performance of my '777ES when plugged into the surge protector? I am particularly interested in a couple sub-$200 Kimber Kable power cords. Thanks in advance.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
The only problem I had was with Saurav's comparison to aftermarket car parts, When you start talking to me about cars you are speaking my native language and I "know" why manufacturers place certain restrictions inline on an engine.. It's not about cost either.
Ooh, so you're a car person. That's cool :) OK, I'll grant that there are warranty issues with putting a CAI with no water bypass valve or anything on a car, and having some idiot drive it through a big puddle and blow up the engine.
My point was different though. The post that got me thinking about cars was trying to say that the manufacturer chose not to put a better power cord, therefore a better power cord could not make a difference, because if it did, the manufacturer would have done it in the first place. What you're saying pretty much backs up my position, that manufacturers often have other reasons for not doing something, and those reasons can be completely unrelated to performance. For cars it's usually warranty issues, for audio it's more marketing.
So, I'm not saying that cars and audio are similar because manufacturers have the same reasons for not putting certain parts on their products. What I'm saying is, they're similar in the sense that the manufacturers have some reason to not include certain components in their design, and there is almost always scope for improving performance by adding aftermarket parts.
There, does that make you feel better? :)

Adil M

Supporting Actor
:laugh:
It always happens or ends up going down this path. Like moths attracted to fire.

AjayM

Screenwriter
The only problem I had was with Saurav's comparison

to aftermarket car parts, When you start talking to

me about cars you are speaking my native language and

I "know" why manufacturers place certain restrictions

inline on an engine.. It's not about cost either.
Oh, it's not about cost (however there is a reason why a Porsche 911 GT2 TT costs more than a Mustang)? Of course that's not the only reason, you have to look at your total market share and determine where you start getting diminishing returns. The Mustang example is very good. Somebody wants more performance from the car can put on a less restrictive exhaust system (pretty much no risk of blowing up the car there), they are willing to accept the "issues" (like more noise) of the exhaust system for what they want, where as most people would not. And there's more than a few intake systems that don't put the intake down so close to ground level.

So put the above in Mike's words, somebody wants more performance from his amp and they can put on an aftermarket power cord, he's willing to accept the "issues" (like higher cost) of the cord, where as most people would not.

Seems like a pretty good (but not perfect) comparison to me.

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks