What's new

Anyone ever change there stock IEC power cords? (1 Viewer)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
he's willing to accept the "issues" (like higher cost) of the cord
I think the biggest "issue" with using aftermarket powercords is all the people who will take time out from their busy schedules to tell you that you're an idiot :)
Of course, some people will do that if you buy any speakers other than Bose, so I guess it doesn't really matter. I think I'm lucky, no one has looked at my system and asked me why I didn't buy Bose. Yet. A friend's roommate bought a Bose system, but I haven't been down to his place since then, so I haven't had to 'confront' that :)

AjayM

Screenwriter
I think the biggest "issue" with using aftermarket powercords is all the people who will take time out from their busy schedules to tell you that you're an idiot
Of course, some people will do that if you buy any speakers other than Bose, so I guess it doesn't really matter. I think I'm lucky, no one has looked at my system and asked me why I didn't buy Bose. Yet. A friend's roommate bought a Bose system, but I haven't been down to his place since then, so I haven't had to 'confront' that :)
Well, since I'm unfortunate enough to live almost next door to a Best Buy and I have to go in there all to much (I got lotsa DVD's) but I can't walk past the speaker department without getting a headache from all the nasty sound coming from in there. I'm continually amazed that people will spend that kind of money ($800-1000 for a pair of speakers) that sound that bad when something better can be had for the same money (just not at Best Buy). So maybe I'm just as guilty as all the anti-power cord guys, just of a different crime. :)
Andrew

Bernard L

Stunt Coordinator
so what's wrong with a generic powercord anyway?

from how I see it... even if you buy a $1000 powercord, the cord behind your power outlet is still that crappola stuff anyway. so technically, it shouldn't make ANY difference at all.

AjayM

Screenwriter
so what's wrong with a generic powercord anyway?

from how I see it... even if you buy a $1000 powercord, the cord behind your power outlet is still that crappola stuff anyway. so technically, it shouldn't make ANY difference at all.
Actually the stuff behind your wall is probably anywhere from 12ga (well that's rare) to 16ga wiring. Stock power cords on most everything except maybe power amps is going to be 18-20ga range. Mix in cheap connectors (I once had to put a piece of electrical tape around a connector so it would stay in place) and you have a less than optimal way of transfering energy.

Andrew

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Saurav,
Touche`
I will go along with that.. :)
Yeah certified car nut here.. I eat sleep and breath
go faster goodies :) hell I ain't afraid to tear into
a brand new vette (I did) :)
As far as someone calling someone an idiot.. That's not
me.. I have no problem with Mike Knapp buying whatever
makes him happy. I on the other hand will spend the money
on other components or remotes or other gadgets. The wires
I will just make myself, as I get pleasure out of doint that.
Then there are guys who build thier own speakers, and probably
cringe at those of us who just shell out thousands to some
company for thier ready made product. And hey they can have
that opinion. I have seen some gorgeous D.I.Y speakers on
the D.I.Y forum here. I just don't have the time and the
proper equipment to do so, or I probably would make the
speakers too! :)
Back to the power cord issue. Why would a manufacturer not
use a good power cord? We talked about reasons why a car
manufacturer might not use a CAI or a free flow exhaust.
But what would stop say, Onkyo from installing one of these
Double Aught welding cables on thier amps from the factory?
Price not withstanding, is there a consumer related issue?
Asthetics? Flexibility? Probably! :)

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Most of them do use a "good" cord....just not the "best" cord.

It has been asked why would a manufacturer put parts in their equipment that would degrade it's performance. Well most manufacturers have a variety of price levels on their gear. You dont think the entry level stuff gets the same parts that the reference stuff does, do you?

If so, why buy the reference stuff? In not, then they have put some lesser quality (sound degrading) parts in the entry level gear or they wouldnt be able to sell it for less. So putting pieces that can degrade the sound quality on equipment is a common process otherwise we would only have reference gear.

Most reference level equipment has a removable power cord. People dont change the cords to "improve" the sound, but rather to "change" it more to their liking. The manufacturer has included a cable that produces a certain sound, the end user changes cables to change the sound, you may find it an improvement, you may not...you may not even hear a difference at all. But please dont assume that the aftermarket cord will "dramitically improve" the quality of the sound....it will likely be subtle and may not be an "improvement" at all.

Why dont automobile manufacturers put "performance" tires on their cars off the production line? People sure buy them after the fact and they make the car ride better so does that mean that the standard tires "degrade" the ride?

Has anyone that poo-poo's aftermarket cords ever "seen" one? Held one and examined it? One look and you can tell they are NOT made to the same specifications of the stock cords. How much value you place on custom power cords is your business, but they are not included with equipment because of the handmade nature of them and their prohibitive cost.

Mike

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Then there are guys who build thier own speakers
I think I'll be going down that route. I found a kit which ships with an assembled cabinet, so all I'll have to do as far as woodworking goes is finish it, which apparently is simple and can be done just using something called 'Tung oil'. Of course, you can see that I still have a lot to learn :) Anyway, I know that building a speaker cabinet is outside my capabilities, but I can assemble a crossover, so I think I'm going to build this kit. It's got pretty good reviews in a few places too, and isn't prohibitively expensive. For anyone who's interested, it's the GR Research Paradox 1, and I think the website is www.gr-research.com
I'm waiting pretty eagerly for my Foreplay kit too. DIY is fun :)

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I for one believe most aspects that effect power supply can be tweaked for better video performance (I don't tend to be an audio perfectionist). I have seen both the Richard Gray PCU's and aftermarket power cords do have a positive effect on the video side (blacker blacks, vibrant colors etc). I have recently sent my Sony 7700 DVD player (with the MSB digital board mod) to Galen Carol Audio. Galen will replace the stock cord with a detachable pigtail, which will allow me to use an aftermarket power cord. I'm also going to replace my wall outlets with the FIM outlets. Total cost to tweak my system about $250.

Ron

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Saurav,
Take it back now! I am not sane and I take offence to being
called sane! :D
I would like to try my hand and building my own speakers
but at this time I just don't have the time and resources.
So I will stick to making cables and such.
I think I am going to try my hand at making some electronic
components. I want to try a Forplay Linestage Tube PreAmp
kit. I want to buy a pair of S.S Amps and build that PreAmp
and see how much of an impact a tube linestage will make on
music. I may not even like the sound, but $150.00 wasted is
certainly better than $6000.00 on a pair of high powered
tube amps.
I also saw plans on the D.I.Y forum to make a pair of 300w
Monoblocks.. That could be a fun project too.. :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Some people cannot hear what they do but I am not terribly concerned with other peoples hearing acuity (a variable) or equipment resolution (another variable)....only my own.
Of course, you've left out another variable, namely listener bias, which you not only acknowledge exists, but positively embrace.

Many of us know how much that can (and does) influence what one "knows" one hears.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I also saw plans on the D.I.Y forum to make a pair of 300w Monoblocks.. That could be a fun project too..
Which DIY forum is that? HTF? Could you post a link please? Also, while I feel relatively confident of tackling a kit, I'm not sure I could work with just plans. Even if I could get the electronic components, that still leaves the case and power supply and all those issues.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone that poo-poo's aftermarket cords ever "seen" one? Held one and examined it? One look and you can tell they are NOT made to the same specifications of the stock cords.
Yep. Seen one, held one, examined one, used one ($800 one). Made no difference.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Saurav,

It was over on the D.I.Y section of the HTF.. Do a search

for 300w MonoBlocks or D.I.Y amps or something.. I didn't

bookmark the theread and I can not for the life of me recall

who it was that was building these monsters.

RicP

Screenwriter
Yep. Seen one, held one, examined one, used one ($800 one). Made no difference.
Of course Robert, you failed to see that Mike said absolutely nothing regarding "making a difference" in his post that you quoted. He simply made reference to their build quality when compared to the stock cords.

Or do you want to pretend that their build quality is the same now too?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
you failed to see that Mike said absolutely nothing regarding "making a difference" in his post that you quoted. He simply made reference to their build quality when compared to the stock cords.
So what? I answered his question, then made an independent observation. I didn't need his post (or yours) to give me "permission" to do so.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Robert,

Just one correction if you dont mind....

"Many of us know how much that can (and does) influence what one "knows" one hears or does not hear.

There, now its accurate!

Thanks

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks