What's new

Anyone currently into jigsaw-puzzles? (1 Viewer)

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I bought my fiance a few things for our "anniversary".

Anyway, one thing was a 550 pc. puzzle. -A scene from the Wizard of Oz. I gave it to her, and it sat for days until I put it together. Man that was fun. I put some Mod Podge on it, and now it dresses my rec room wall. I bought a couple more, and now I'm on my 4th and 5th puzzles. (1000 pc.)

I like to spend a couple hours in front of the TV each night puting these things together. When I get sick of it, I just walk away till the next day. Very relaxing....

I went to the puzzle store at the mall. I saw some that are a bit out of my league.

1. They had one for $150. 18,000 pcs. Something like 5' X 8' when it's done.

2. Two sided puzzles. The picture is on one side of the completed puzzle, then they rotated it 90° and put it on the reverse. Proclaimed: the world's most difficult jig-saw puzzle.

3. Puzzles with no edges and 5 extra pcs.

4. Photomosaic puzzles. http://www.buffalogames.com/HTML%20p...otomosaic.html These would destroy my eyesight, or drive me mad. I'm thinking of getting the Elvis one.

Anyway, I'm getting an Entertainment or "drinking" theme for my basement. These glued-together puzzles look pretty neat on the walls. Good conversation pieces.

Anyone else into these?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Have you seen the ones by Heye? Might as well have fun while you're building it.

I used to get 2 x 1500 piece puzzles and mix them together before I started. Much more fun! You just need a lot of table space for the pieces (got a ping-pong table that you aren't using)?

What has been pissing me off lately is that I used to glue them to what we called poster board, but Stapes and others don't even carry it, and true 'art' stores are few and far between.

Glenn

Hunter P

Screenwriter
When I lived alone I would do a puzzle every couple of months. I still remember watching an episode of "That's Incredible" when I was a kid.

They profiled a guy who wallpapered his house with completed puzzles glued on poster board. His most difficult puzzle was one called "Purple Madness." All the pieces were one solid color of purple. Talk about frustrating! I wonder if they still make that one.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Glen,

I was just talking about doing that yesterday. (Mixing two together) Anyway, a couple coats of "Mod Podge" on the printed side of a puzzle does the trick without any posterboard. I might have to use the ping-pong table downstairs for a future puzzle. Thanks for the suggestion!

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
It's been a couple of years since I've had time for jigsaw puzzles. The biggest one was 9500 pieces. I would do 1500 piece puzzles for a quick fix. It was getting to be an expensive hobby.

Ravensburger puzzles are great. Excellent quality. I got spoiled and didn't like buying other brands.

- kim

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
All Star Puzzles has a picture puzzle page that is a great online time waster. They are only about 100 pieces max but fun none the less. I've never done a photo mosaic puzzle but they sure look challenging.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The biggest I ever did was the 10,000 piece Night Watch: 9500 pieces of brown. The cover was no help, because it was a picture after the varnish was off and it was revealed to be a daytime scene, and the actual puzzle was the pre-restoration painting. It took me from February-Halloween to finish it, working every night. It was good therapy though for my busted engagement.

Now I do much smaller scale puzzles. A friend of mine gets cheap ones and I build them to see whether they're complete. Something to do while listening to DVD commentaries. I don't do them often, but can whip through a couple 500 piece ones in an evening. They have to actually be a picture of something though; those intentionally maddening ones like the all-purple one hold zero interest for me.

Mike Slade

Second Unit
Every now and again I like to do a puzzle. They get very addicting at times and frustrating at others. I love the photomosaic puzzles. Those images are amazing to me. Some of the puzzles are pretty hard and some not so much. I have twice given up on doing the space shuttle one. That thing is crazy. All the pictures that make it up look almost eactly the same.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I feel like such a lightweight :b The last jigsaw puzzle I did was a Muppet one (Fozzy, Gonzo, and Kermit in a hot air balloon) when I was little. It had 500 pieces, if I recall correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks