What's new

anyone actually DISLIKE a center channel speaker? (1 Viewer)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
For those w/limited $$$ & not into DIY but want excellent performance (documented objective benchmark by Home Theater Magazine) ...
The JBL S-CENTER: Optimized for Home-Theater Center Channel Applications

... The S-CENTER is voice-matched to sonically blend with every Studio Series model, to create a panoramic soundstage that comes together seamlessly in multichannel home-theater systems. ...
I'll say here that my JBL S26 (x4) & S-Center speakers work together perfectly as an ensemble. The timbre matching is as good as any I've heard; that is, outside of systems that consist of five identical speakers.

Phil

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
I have the exact same setup as Philip Hamm (same speakers with tweeter down on the center) and concur with what he has said. Identical speakers across the front are much better than a so called matched center. I may have to try raising the fronts a bit and see if it helps me as well. I have always been told that the tweeter height of the mains should be at or slightly below ear level.

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
75% of the dialogue comes from the center channel. So you have been missing quite alot. I could not imagine not having a center channel speaker. Get a CC that is timbre matched to the front mains. Your missing alot. Put it in 2 channel for the news if you want but for movies my god what are you thinking no center?

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I don't use a center channel speaker, but do use phantom mode and have been very impressed with my resutling center imaging.

I used to have Klipsch across the front, but it really is not in the same league as what I am getting now.

What really suprises me is that I can sit outised of the speakers by about 45 degrees and still it is not easy to tell that there is no center channel. Vocals are nearly anchored perfectly to the screen, but just a shade to the side I am sitting on.

I am having enough success that it would take a really strong showing from a center channel to get me to go back to using one and a lottery win since my matching center costs $2500.

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
I have a pair of Paradigm Active 40's with the matching Paradigm Active CC v.2, and prefer running my system with no center. As a matter of fact, since I moved into my new digs nearly two years ago, I have yet to get around to unpacking the Active CC from it's box!

Jeez, I just now realized it's been almost two years! Maybe it's time to sell that thing. Anyone interested in a barely used (9 months) Paradigm Active CC v.2?

It's not that my system sounded bad with the Active CC installed. It's just that I do not miss it much running the Active 40's in phantom mode for movies, and physical setup issues and time constraints have caused me to procastinate in unpacking and setting up my center channel speaker.

I'm mostly a two-channel music guy, so perhaps it is time to seriously consider selling my expensive center channel speaker which I never use. And I bet a single Active 20 as a center would be a better match with my Active 40's.

Cary

Harry Palmer

Auditioning
I'd much rather listen in phantom mode with good mains than use a non-matched or inferior center. My first choice would be a center that was designed correctly (not an MTM place on the side). The HTM, Aerial and ACI models come to mind.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Cary, I wonder what the Active CC would sound like with "Passive" Studio 40's? Give the centre more ooomph?

Ah I wish I had actives!

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
I've found Atlantic Technology's 373C center channel works very well too. It's not identical to the fronts, but it's close. The tweeter and two midrange drivers, which reside in their own enclosure are turned 90 degrees.

They even have curved "feet", a separate wooden base panel, and a boundary compensation switch to flatten the response curve (in case you want to place the center on your TV or near a wall).

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Dave Ma said "75% of the dialogue comes from the center channel. So you have been missing quite alot."

Dave, when using the "phantom setting" and no center speaker, the center channel sounds are directed equally to the L/R fronts, so nothing is missed.

My problem with centers is that I can't stand listening to them unless they are at exactly the same height at the L/R fronts. This is even more pronunced when listening to music.

Another thing that is often overlooked is that if all 3 fronts are in a straight line, then the center channel needs a bit more delay than the L/R's as it is closer to the listener in the sweet spot.

Keir H

Second Unit
THere's no way I could go back to phantom mode after finally getting my center channel, a Linn 5120...vocals a great and although I don't have 5140's for the fronts, I still have smooth results with my Keiliedhs. Gotta have a center! :D

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Phantom mode is for 1 or 2 viewers - not for a group.

My above average Friday NITE DVD group = 7 to 10 (avg: 4) and my JBL S-Center locks the dialog (w/associated effects) to my 50" 16x9 screen @ all my seating locations - including the extreme left or right! You can even hear the 1st voice locked between the Center and Left Front Speaker talking to the 2nd voice locked between Center and Right Front Speaker (ex. Toy Story 2 - 1st voice Buzz Lightyear / 2nd voice Woody) from the extreme left or right seating locations.

My S-Center is so seamless that panning effects moving Left Front to Center to Right Front; visa-versa; or better yet, starting beyond the Left Front Speaker, moving to Center Front, then seamlessly Above Center Right, panning towards the Right Surround then beyond towards the rear right corner of the room*, ... provides an effective 3D directional sound path(s) that awes the crowd - easily heard from all my seating locations. I know, I usually give-up my sweet-spot and sit on the left side, 2nd row of seats behind the couch.

*ex. Star Trek - First Contact - after Borg Cube explosion - sound effects of escaping Akira class Starship.

For my Home Theater application - shared with my family and friends, a Center Channel speaker is a priority!

Phil

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Thanks for the broader explanation, Phil, and congratulations on what sounds like a great setup. I'm curious: are all of your fronts the same speakers and are they all at the same height?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Thanks Rick!
...are all of your fronts the same speakers and are they all at the same height?
No - JBL does recommend that the Center Channel 1' Pure Titanium tweeter center axis be within 2' (24") of the Front channel 1' Pure Titanium tweeter center axis ... mine are approx. 21" apart - & Center is slightly angle down towards my couch.

With this setup (basically copying the typical Dolby Lab 5.1 Studio Speaker Layout) , my sound distribution fills my entire 50" 16x9 screen where the sound effects emanates from anywhere within the vertical plane of my left side or right side of the widescreen.

Example:

1) Dante's Peak: Pierce Brosnan throwing his jacket to a chair located off-screen on the left of the office he's entering, and the sounds effects is located lower left of the screen, just slightly beyond my Left Front channel speaker.

2) Man in the Iron Mask: The panning sound of horse soldiers crossing the scene from right to left, the sound is located about 3/4 up the screen starting from the Right Front Speaker, to Center exiting the Left Front Speaker,

3) Citing the Toy Story 2 voices 1 & 2 above, the voices are located in-between my speakers, near the top of the screen - about the same height as Buzz and Woody face - the two standing side-by-side talking!

Of course, in all DVD's, the Center dialog sounds like it's located in the Center of my 50" 16x9 screen - so whatever the 5.1 Mixing Engineer did, I can hear his approximate audible location at any point - 360° around me. Some DVD's, the Mixing Engineer audibly moves the Center dialog, to follow the on-screen lead character while he's pacing and delivering his line! Really cool!!!

Phil

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Some DVD's, the Mixing Engineer audibly moves the Center dialog, to follow the on-screen lead character while he's pacing and delivering his line! Really cool!!!
Phil, yes cool! I just wish they did it more often! :) A lot of movies I'll see the character talk in the centre, move to the left or right and talk again, damn them not talking while walking! I think it's a thing with actors, you have to pay them more to talk and walk at the same time :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks