What's new

Anymore Mr. Ed on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Did the first volume of Mister Ed do well? Has there been any word of any more Mister Ed Volumes being released on DVD?

Paul

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I hope so, I really love my copy of volume 1!
Hope they include a "play all" feature if they release any more. Any one have any news?
BTW, Glad I'm not the only Mister Ed fan here. :)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
It will be interesting in the next year to see if the older shows generate enough sales to justify more seasons or perhaps more Best Ofs in Mr. Ed's case. I sure hope so! I know Gilligan's Island is getting another season according to TV Shows on DVD, so perhaps that bodes well for others.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Was the DVD release well done? I know that I really want to pick this and Green Acres up, but I am afraid that something better may come along.

Ryan

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Well, I didn't buy Mr. Ed on DVD. I like the show but I refuse to purchase Best of discs, I want to see Mr. Ed on DVD in season format.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy

IMHO, in the case of these older shows like Mister Ed "best of" discs are the studio's way of testing the market.
I think the best thing for us to do is buy the "best of" dvds and then write MGM a letter not a e-mail and let them know that there is a market and we want season sets.

Look at it this way, you'll have something to enjoy in the mean time while we wait for season sets, and if they never put out sets then you'll at least have some episodes on dvd.
I'm not going to deprive myself just because I want season sets. And they may or may not come because "Sluts & The City" (just kidding) will always sale more copies than Mister Ed.
And besides it's great having the Clint Eastwood episode on dvd.
The only thing I did'nt like about vol. 1 is there's no "play all" feature and the disc returns to the menu after each episode.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Okay, I bought this when it first came out a few months ago. I watched 2 or 3 episodes and then shelved it.

So last night, I was in the mood for some Mister Ed.

I pressed the little button to release the dvd and it snapped off:angry:

Then, I watched episode 8 (Zsa Zsa Gabor) on first disc, side A, and about 12 minutes in, the dvd froze. I was able to fast forward a bit, and there was a lot of blockiness, and then it froze again. I watched another episode with no problems.

My question is: Does anyone else have this problem with this particular episode or do I have a bad disc? I can't return it now because it's been months and I don't have the receipt anymore.

Thanks for your help.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I haven't yet watched the whole set but I watched the Zsa Zsa Gabor episode and it had no problems.

I really like the set so far. What I don't like about the set is that it's so damn hard to get the DVDs off of the hub. I always feel like I'm going to crack the disc.

Mark To

Supporting Actor

I have them all from when they ran complete on Nick at Nite in the 80s so I have plenty to enjoy while waiting for season sets.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Thanks, Marvin, for checking and replying to my post.:D

Guess I got a bad apple in the bunch:angry:

Like I said, I also had trouble getting it off the hub and was afraid of cracking the disc, that I broke the little snap button.

I'm afraid as years go on, all those little plastic snap buttons in my other sets are going to become brittle and break off, too.:frowning:

Although the hubs create an attractive overall package, I'm beginning to favor those slim line cases housed in a outer box cover used in other dvd sets like the Dick Van Dyke, Happy Days, and Land of the Lost.:emoji_thumbsup:

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Did you check the disc surface just in case there's some dirt, a fingerprint, a scratch, whatever, on it that might be causing the problem?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've been on the bubble with the set for the reason that seems to be stated by others. Season sets. I would buy the season sets if they came out.
I will probably end up picking it up shortly however. I figured they were trying to gauge sales as well. I know it's a business and not everything is going to sell and the studios want to make money.

Along with Mr. Ed, I hope I Dream Of Jeannie comes out soon in season sets.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I don't think you'll get season sets. Remember this is MGM and a pretty low-profile set when compared to the TV DVDs that are really selling like hotcakes.

What you can hope for is that every episode will eventually be represented in a "Best of" collection. You may cite "The Twilight Zone" or "Married with Children" as reasons not to give up hope that 'best of' collections will turn into season sets. But remember, Image is responsible for TZ, and it's one of their top properties. They've been bleeding it dry (and I plan on buying all the season sets after selling my 5 collections on e-bay). And Columbia (Married with Children) is a huge player in the TV on DVD market. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they've released more TV show season sets than any other studio.

Conversely, MGM's TV-on-DVD production is scant at best. If you want Mister Ed on DVD, there's no way around the Best Of volumes MGM has chosen to release. Without sales of that, there is no way a Volume 2 will see the light of day, let alone a Season 1.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Listing for Volume 2 for those who were looking for what episodes were on this from DVDEmpire...

Disc One:
Ed Gets the Mumps
Ed Visitsia Gypsy
Ed, the Chauffeur
Ed, the Donkey
Mae West Meets Mister Ed
Mister Ed Writes Dear Abby
Like Father, Like Horse
Ed, the Race Horse
Ed, the Pilot
Ed, the Stowaway
Animal Jury
Ed's Juice Stand

Disc Two:
Ed's Contact Lenses
The Bank Robbery
My Horse, The Mailman
Robin Hood Ed
Ed, the Artist
Edia Go-Go
Coldfinger (aka Ed Sniffs Outia Cold Clue)
Ed Breaks the Hip Code (aka Spies Strike Back)

Paul

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Will these be duel-sided discs, like Volume 1? I'm guessing, that with 12 episodes on the 1st disc, they will most likely be 2-sided (6 episodes per side)....

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
whats holding this up?? I have the best of volumes but I want season sets

Sony should release this

JimWICKS

Grip
I've had problems playing back one of the sides of Volume 1. Both of my players are Sony's. My 5 disk set top gives me a dirty disk error and the disk will partially play but freezes constantly on my DVD ROM drive. I exchanged this product for another copy at Tower and I get the same issues with both players. Due to a recent merger, MGM is now part of Sony, so I have Sony software incompatible with Sony hardware!

What follows is an email exchange between myself and a Sony rep:

"Dear Valued Consumer:

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures
Home Entertainment (SPHE) products.

The defect you report is not a known issue with this Title. As we have not
discovered any problems with the manufacturing quality of this product, the
problem is most likely due to a compatibility issue between your particular
DVD player and the SPHE DVD. Unfortunately, it is not possible to ensure
compatibility between all SPHE DVDS and every computer and DVD player
worldwide. The issue may be with the computer, software or player, but it
is not with the authoring of the DVD.

Please return the DVD to the place of purchase (with original receipt) and
follow the replacement/exchange policy for that retail outlet. All of our
retailers have an exchange policy for defective video even after the item
has been opened. We do not replace defective product directly.

We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your continued patronage
and for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Consumer Relations

I have recently purchased "The Best of Mister Ed, Volume 1" at my local
Tower Records store. I could not play the first side of disc 1 on my
Sony DVP-NC615 (5 disc changer). This player would not play that side and
gives a "C-1300" error,
stating the disc is dirty. I've tried playing this side on my Sony CD-RW
CRX300E (DVD ROM drive)
and most of the chapters will play, but there is a lot of freezing during
some of the chapters.
This freezing occurs during the MGM intros and during the play of episode 8
(Zsa Zsa).
I went back to the Tower Records store and exchanged it for another copy.
This replacement copy is also giving me exactly the same performance
problems as the previous copy;
"C-1300" dirty disc error on the 5 disc changer and freezing on the DVD-ROM
when trying to play side 1 of the first disc. These two were the only
copies
of this title on the
shelves at that store so I'm hesitant to make a second trip to exchange it."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks