What's new

Anybody tried this? (1 Viewer)

Dustin Haug

Agent
Turning a keg into a sub. I figure if a cardboard tube is rigid enough why not an aluminum one. You'd have to deaden it so that it didn't "ping" when the bass hit, but it wouldn't be that bad. I know people have made aluminum sub enclosures for car audio, I think they used modeling clay and/or cement for deadening. Someone out there has to have tried this.
------------------
My DIY sub page

Eric M L

Grip
Leave it to a college student to come up with a way to re-use a keg!
rolleyes.gif

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Interesting---
Though I've never thought about metal kegs, large wood wine barrels have crossed my mind. They beauty of real wood is always winner.
Would it work, maybe, but would it be worth the effort to find, figure, and finish is more the queston to ponder. What a conversation piece. BOOM, BOOM, so by the way, are you thristy. :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
In an old issue of SpeakerBuilder Magazine a guy mounted a 15" RatShack driver in a plastic barrel. I believe it was some type of bandpass alignment. The driver was mounted externally on the barrel with an external port. The barrel was placed in some type of wasted space (in an attic, under a stairwell, something like that) and the port was going out into the listening room through the sheetrock.
Brian
------------------

kevin oswald

Agent
As much as I hate to admit it, the keg sounds like a fun idea.. I think the wine barrel would be a better choice though.. would look pretty kewl in the room.. you really would not have to finish it if you did not want to.. just leave it look like a wine barrel..
..Kevin

Julian Data

Second Unit
I recall someone sending me an email from Oz in which he did design a sub that used a wine barrel.
He sent some pics of it too! :D
I no longer have them though as it's been over a year.
frown.gif

------------------

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
A friend of mine from Purdue Univ., Jesse Stoltzfus, is working on exactly such a project this summer. He is using a Swan 305. The biggest issue is realy finding a good means to cut, mount, and re-seal the keg.
Mark Seaton

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Sounds like a challange to mount and seal depending on where the mounts going to be. A plasma torch for cutting more than likely would work best. As it cuts quickly and cleanly.
A base plate like SVS's set up would probley work. That is if the driver was bottom mounted.
But how big a driver could be mounted in the bottom of a beer keg? And a side mount dosnt sound like fun at all. Ribs on the keg would be a nightmare to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks