What's new

anybody own this version of Nightmare on Elm Street? (1 Viewer)

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
I've just bought these discs from Wally Mart for (about) US$6 a piece.

Anybody have watched these discs? How's the PQ and SQ?

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
Wow, Nightmare seems to be a hot topic on here lately...

Arent these the versions that are in the box set? If they're snapper cases, they probably are....I havent taken mine off the shelf in a real long time....if so, the picture quality is okay and so is the audio, nothing that will really blow your skirt up.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I would say these discs are well worth $6, easily. They're the same discs that come in the box set, as others have said, only the cases are keepers and the artwork is different. As for the quality, they look and sound great for discs that came out in '98 or '99. I would guess that these were considered excellent presentations at that time, and it's not like they're horrible now.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Same transfers, but the single releases have the FF option and the trailer on the disc itself.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I have the first one with the same cover, but in a snapper. The quality is all you should expect of a low-low budget film from the early eighties. It has the original mono track included, which is all I listen to (I'm not a fan of 5.1 remixes of mono films), and it sounds like it always did, which I think adds to the film's charm and suspense. The sound of Freddy's claws against metal is just better on a tinny, mono track.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Kelly:

Great find; I have no complaints about any of those dics. I found three or four of the Nightmare films on Halloween special at Wal-Mart for $4.75, but those were in cardboard snapper cases.

They all look and sound terrific, especially for their age.

As others have said, with these stand-alone editions, you also get Full Frame (open matte) versions on the same disc (no image loss on horizontal, plenty of gain on the vertical), but you must select that option from the main page and not the "special featrures" screen. Granted, the films weren't lensed by the directors for "full frame," but the non-purist in me finds it fun to watch 'em that way on occasion.

And yes, these would also sport the same, "ehnanced for 16 by 9" transfers of the boxed set.

Enjoy!

By the way, why the heck didn't they print all the cases with "digitally remastered," as all of the films got the same treatment the original Nightmare did?

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Just so you know... if you end up picking up 'Freddy's Dead - The Final Nightmare', the non-boxset version doesn't have the finale in 3-D like the boxset does.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
thanks all for the input. I'll do a marathon tonight.

As far as 3D goes, due to my eye condition (I assume), I can't get proper 3D presentation when it's presented at home (I'll be seeing double). This happen to me with all 3D DVDs that doesn't use polarized glasses.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit

Ah, so it's not like Nightmares 2 through 7 did get the very same spit and polish that the original film did. Was the lack of Dowdell color timing the only difference?

And I guess there's something to be said for a proper job, given the reported glaring difference between editions of Halloween. From what I hear, the "Divimax" edition is an abomination of mis-timing--with way over-cranked greens and the total loss of night-time blues--but then the debate rages on.

--Jack

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
The Divimax version of Halloween looks...weird. To say the least. Some people like it. I don't, as it looks like a different film to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks