What's new

Anybody familiar with Television repair? (1 Viewer)

Rob Bruce

Agent
I'm not expecting an answer, but it's worth a shot.......

I have a 20+ year old sony trinitron 19" telivision. It's a nice tv, but it has stopped showing green altogether. At first, it would come on and off intermittently, but now it's off all of the time. I thought it may be the green tube's cathode is burned out, or maybe has a short or something. Does anybody have some suggestions on what may be wrong?

Rob Bruce

Agent
nevermind. I did some troubleshooting of my own, and found that the green gun is dead, time to toss the tv.

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
I have had tremendous success rejuvenating old Sony DVs. I use the Beltron, but Sencore also makes a good CRT rejuvenator.

Inquire at your local repair shop. This was really a big thing, years ago.

Mr Bob

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Way more trouble than it's worth. Set's dead. Mourn briefly and begin searching for a modern replacement with amazingly superior performance at only a fraction of the price.

Why would no one want to answer your question? This section of HTF thrives on good questions.

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
Today that's true, with the glut of TVs on the market today.

There was a time when TVs were very expensive, and rejuvenation was an honored way of saving a TV.

But now, yes it's as you say, and I couldn't agree more...

Mr Bob

Robert P. Jones

Second Unit
Looks like a chip, since the tube is about half an inch thick, and a crack would be very unlikely.

Perhaps filling it in with some kind of permanent transparent goo, like superglue, or clear epoxy. Something that will set up smooth, even tho it probably will cause refraction error. Lucky it is not in the center of the screen.

Mr Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks