What's new

Any word on these great Scorsese movies? (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
The release of Cape Fear has me wondering when we are going to see these Martin Scorsese movies on DVD:
  • The King of Comedy
  • After Hours
  • Raging Bull Special Edition (or Criterion)
  • GoodFellas (Special Edition)
I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of Age of Innocence. I worship at the shrine of Martin Scorsese he is my absolute favorite filmmaker.
It would be nice if we could get a box set.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
It would be nice if we could get a box set.
Yes it would...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Well, MGM has confirmed there will be a SE of Raging Bull coming out next year. I seem to recall that Warner Bros. mentioned something about a loaded version of GoodFellas coming out in late 2000. Guess they must've forgotten about that.
As for The King of Comedy and After Hours, I've not heard anything about these titles. Considering they're both relatively obscure catalog items, I think it'll be awhile before these hit shelves. I don't even know who owns the rights to these films!
And I'd too love a box set of Scorsese. I refuse to buy Mean Streets, GoodFellas, Raging Bull or The Color of Money until they're done properly.
(By the way Tom, in case you don't know, there's another Scorsese SE on the way: The Last Waltz...Robbie Robertson himself in taking part in the creation of the DVD. It should be out in early 2002.)
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Another Scorsese fanatic here! It will be great to finally get a SE of Raging Bull!
I still can't believe that more of this great directors movies are either not on DVD at all, or have not been done right!
I would add Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore to the list of movies mentioned above.
I, like Kevin, refuse to buy these titles until they are done right. I have a 16:9 tv with prog scan player, and it automatically goes into stretch mode, so non-anamorphic DVD's simply suck on my set up!
I love my Taxi Driver and Cape Fear DVD's! I also like Bringing Out the Dead, a movie that I think is generally underrated as a Scorsese movie! These were done RIGHT!
Anxiously awaiting....

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
If you are a real Scorsese nut, you may want to get a
laser disc player. Criterion made a few great laser discs
that will never come out on DVD.
Raging Bull Special Edition features:
Audio commentary by director Martin Scorsese and editor Thelma Schoonmaker
Clips of other American Films compared to Raging Bull clips
Historic Jake La Motta boxing and interview footage
The shooting script and original storyboards
Publicity and production photographs
The original theatrical trailer
Taxi Driver Special Edition features:
Audio commentary by director Martin Scorsese and scriptwriter Paul Schrader
Complete storyboards for the film
Production and publicity photos
An early draft of Paul Schrader's hard-hitting script
An essay about the creation of Bernard Hermann's score
Also one of the great DVD's is "A Personal Journey with
Martin Scorsese".
"Director Martin Scorsese's engrossing made-for-British-TV documentary charts the history of American cinema, as he talks about the influences and passions of his career and introduces clips of hundreds of films. Warm, funny, and astute, this is film school with America's most celebrated director--but it feels like being at an all--day Saturday matinee."
225 min. of film school on a disc.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
As soon as I saw the post heading, I immediately thought of After Hours! I would LOVE a special edition of this movie. Just a solid transfer would be enough.
I can't wait to see how many people who've never seen it start RAVING once the DVD shows up!
Nearly all of Scorsese's films are some sort of classic, but I've always had a thing for After Hours.
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29
[Edited last by Scott Weinberg on September 27, 2001 at 04:59 PM]

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
Enrique - you're absolutley right about Criterion probably never getting the DVD rights for Taxi Driver or Raging Bull. I'm sure not letting my LDs go anytime soon.
And After Hours is one of my all-time favorite films too. That's likely a LD I'll be keeping for a long while as well (unfortunately). If they do ever make a S.E. DVD, I want it to come in a box with a commemorative Plaster-of-Paris Bagel & Cream Cheese Paperweight.
[Edited last by Holden Pike on September 27, 2001 at 08:31 PM]

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
If they do ever make a S.E. DVD, I want it to come in a box with a commemorative Plaster-of-Paris Bagel & Cream Cheese Paperweight.
laugh.gif
What a GREAT idea!!!

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
If they do ever make a S.E. DVD, I want it to come in a box with a commemorative Plaster-of-Paris Bagel & Cream Cheese Paperweight.
I'd prefer a "buy one, get one free" Mr. Softee coupon.
patriot.gif

------------------
God Bless America

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Thank you for the info, everyone!
Kevin, I wasn't aware that The Last Waltz was going to be released on DVD. I think it's the only Scorsese-directed movie that I have never seen. I don't buy DVDs without having first seen the movie, but this is the one time I may make an exception to that rule. I'm sure I will like it.
Enrique, thanks for the info on the LDs. I was not aware that the Criterions had commentary. Now I'm going to have to search eBay for them! I must own them. :)
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
[Edited last by Tom_G on September 28, 2001 at 04:20 PM]

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I agree, the commentary tracks on Raging Bull and
Taxi Driver are great. Like his commentary track on
Last Temptation, it feels like he does not have enough
time to tell you all that he wants.
The Raging Bull laser disc has a section that he
compares his film to Force of Evil, On the Waterfront
and The Quiet Man. IT also has boxing and interview
footage of Jake La Motta.
The laser disc of Taxi Driver has a commentary track
and an isolated music track of Bernard Herrmann's great
score.
The UK R2 DVD of Raging Bull has a nice 16 page
black and white booklet and a 2nd disc that has a 26 min.
documentary made in the UK about the movie and La Motta.
It also has La Motta redoing some of his old jokes again
from his old cabaret act (a so-so extra).
If you like Taxi Driver, then you may want to get the
soundtrack CD, the liner notes are written by Scorsese
about Herrmann.
Also, I heard that the collection "Three by Scorsese"
was going to come out on DVD (Criterion did a LD).
"Three by Scorsese" has "The Big Shave" (1967),
"Italianamerican" (1974), and "American Boy" (1978).

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Also, I heard that the collection "Three by Scorsese"
was going to come out on DVD (Criterion did a LD).
"Three by Scorsese" has "The Big Shave" (1967),
"Italianamerican" (1974), and "American Boy" (1978).
Well, I know this is on VHS right now; never heard of Criterion releasing it on LD...like Enrique, I've heard this is supposed to be on the company's plate for next year. Maybe they'll get access to Scorsese's NYU shorts "It's Not Just You Murray" and "What's A Nice Girl Doing In a Place Like This?"
Would anybody else like to see Anchor Bay do After Hours? Seems to be right up their alley...I can see it now: anamorphic transfer, remixed 5.1 sound (with optional original audio), commentary by Scorsese, and a limited tin that comes with both the Bagel & Cream Cheese paperweight and a booklet containing the Mr. Softee coupon and invitation to the punk nightclub.
biggrin.gif
Sigh...well, one can dream.
I don't know about the rest of you, but all this Scorsese talk made me watch the Gangs of New York trailer for the umpteenth time. I want to see that film RIGHT NOW...December can't come soon enough! :)
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
Other After Hours goodie ideas:
A "Stop This Man" wanted poster
A skull with top hat temporary tattoo or key chain
But just the movie (16x9) with an essay on the original ending and a commentary with Scorsese and Griffin Dunne would be enough!
[Edited last by Shane Gralaw on September 29, 2001 at 01:00 AM]

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin - Voyager, Criterion's parent company, did release "Three By Scorsese" (Italianamerican, The Big Shave, and American Boy) on LaserDisc. I'm sure of this because I've owned it for years.
Who's That Konocking at My Door?, What's a Nice Girl Like You Doing in a Place Like This? and It's Not Just You, Murray would all be great to have on DVD too. Those three sound like Anchor Bay candidates to me.
And if ANYone could ever locate a print of Street Scenes, there would be much rejoycing in the land of Filmnutia.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks