What's new

Any word on a re-release of Traffic? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. In my opinion, Traffic was one of the best films of the past few years. It was to my chagrin that the DVD release was lackluster in terms of features. For a film of this calibur, it deserved better treatment. Any new, or rumors? My hopes would be to have the film, anamorphic widescreen, Dolby Digital and DTS track, documentary, commentary with Soderbergh and possibly the cast, academy awards clips, trailers, and of course: the movie! I don't know who owns the rights to this film (USA Films?) but give us a better version (especially DTS!!!!)

Aaron Garman

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I agree with you 100% it was easily the best movie of 2000 for me. I'm always looking around for an announcement but I haven't heard anything yet. I'm happy with the current version, nice transfer+nice audio, if there was a special edition to come out I would be really interested in a Soderbergh commentary (alone), I find him to be very insightful into the production of his films.

And yes, i'm pretty sure USA Films own the rights to Traffic. Hopefully when Soderbergh has released Full Frontal he will get into a Traffic SE?

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I would be really interested in a Soderbergh commentary (alone), I find him to be very insightful into the production of his films.
I agree with this 100%. In fact, holding out for a Soderbergh commentary is the one reason I don't have Traffic on DVD yet, as this was also my favorite film of 2002.

I have heard very, very few people who can combine a commentary with both insight and humor like Steve Soderbergh can. The one he and the screenwriter for 'Out of Sight' did was just a treasure trove of useful tidbits and smart, clever comments.

I would love to hear some news on this one!

Gareth Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
Considering Criterion licensed 'In The Mood For Love' from USA Films, what chance a Criterion 'Traffic'?

MikeAW

Second Unit
It's interesting that a visit to my local Circuit City, it seems that the release is being "dumped" on the market to artificially pump up sales and move The Product. I believe I saw lots of boxes of these at Costco.

The consumer says..."Hey I heard about this movie, academy awards, right!...I think"...looking at the other $18.99 to $22.99 DVD's on the rack to chose from, and counting the money he has in his pocket..."I will give this a try, at this price!".

This trick is used in especially new artist CD Sales, the the Music Company is hyping...to inject alot more interest in buying it. They used it for Hootie & the Blowfish's first album, and now with Pete Yorn. This Pete Yorn CD is retailing for $9.99 at Best Buy, so you see, how people would be more interested in picking it up and trying a new artists CD, compared to $14.99+ retail price for the CD.

And it works...except..

Nothing is wrong with this...but it also makes you, as the Customer, to think...why is this release cheaper than the other one...it must be a Bomb!

KrisM

Second Unit
What does A Pete Yorn cd selling for $9.99 have to do with Traffic? Because Traffic is on sale, it must be a poor movie? I think Traffic is pretty far from a 'bomb'. It was a great movie.

KrisM

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Well the R2 has a bunch of deleted scenes on the disc as extras. I've not seen the disc myself as I only by movies on region1, but still it could be a sign a re-issue may be due in the US eventually. Criterion doing it would be a dream!

I hope there is a special ed too as I enjoy his commentaries a lot and would really love one on Traffic. So unless the R1 release represents all he desired of the DVD release, letting it speak for itself, so be it. If not, absolutely bring on an SE!

Dan (UK)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I purchased Traffic sight unseen a few months back despite somewhat negative reviews from other members and I loved it. I really do hope that they release this film with DTS and some deleted scenes. A commentary track wouldn't be bad but I'd take deleted scenes first. I wonder if there is an alternate ending?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
DTS? 90% of the soundtrack originated from the center channel! The dialogue is mono. It was done on purpose to give it that 'documentary' feel, same with the grain.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
I went DTS for the music and ambience that the movie has. I remember seeing this film in a DTS auditorium originally and it was absolutely amazing. I just love the sound of DTS.

Aaron Garman

James D

Second Unit
I enjoyed Traffic also, but I would recommend that everyone check out the original British miniseries of Traffik. I just finished watching this set last week and it surpasses the 2000 movie version IMHO. It is five hours long and has the time to delve into the characters much deeper than the newer version. The DVD of Traffik is quite mediocre in quality, but the story is so strong that it is still worth owning. You can get it cheap if you join the Columbia House club and take it as an enrollment.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks