What's new

Any word on a Coen Brothers box set? (1 Viewer)

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
Since both Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink are now coming to DVD, and both Fargo and Hudsucker Proxy are in dire need of re-release, are there any plans for a box set?

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Well, as soon as the new Coen bros. movie comes out, the box set would become obsolete. ;)

Also, the rights of the films are owned by various studios (Universal, Fox, WB, MGM, Buena Vista) it would be pretty hard to get them together to make a box set.

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
Well, as soon as the new Coen bros. movie comes out, the box set would become obsolete.
Huh? Why is that - because it wouldn't be complete? :) I just think few filmmakers have put out such a consistent string of good movies, all of which are entertaining. If the rights really are that scattered, well, I guess that's too bad, then.

But I wish that Fargo and Hudsucker would get a re-release. The latter's transfer apparently leaves a lot to be desired (a far cry from The Man Who Wasn't There, it seems), and I've tried, but I just can't seem to get a hold of Fargo. They gave it a desperately needed new transfer a while ago, but it seems to be out of print.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
"Fargo" is out of print because MGM is preparing a Special Edition. A box set wouldn't happen. The rights break down like this:

Universal:
Blood Simple
The Big Lebowski (Universal aquired some of Polygram's catalogue)
The Man Who Wasn't There (Universal aquired USA Films)

Fox:
Raising Arizona
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink

Warner Bros.:
The Hudsucker Proxy

MGM:
Fargo

Buena Vista:
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

It would be practically impossible for Universal, Fox, Warner Bros, MGM and Buena Vista to all come together to make a box set, so don't count on it. I can guarantee you, it's not gonna happen, ever.

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
It would be practically impossible for Universal, Fox, Warner Bros, MGM and Buena Vista to all come together to make a box set, so don't count on it. I can guarantee you, it's not gonna happen, ever.
Except for the off-chance of the Commies making a comeback, winning the next elections, and forcing collectivization on the studios, of course. But I see your point. :D

Good to hear about Fargo, though. Hope Warner Brothers will consider the same (though Hudsucker was not that much of a hit, apparently, so I guess that's wishful thinking).

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
The box set still could happen though. If I remember correctly, the Oliver Stone set had Universal, Fox, Touchstone(Disney) and Warner. So although PLatoon was sorrely missed, it was still an amazing box set. Same could be done here!
Thanks

rossini

Auditioning
Coen Bros diehard fan could buy R2(Japan) 5 discs boxset.
All anamorphic widescreen format.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
MGM:
Fargo
The Big Lebowski (MGM aquired Polygram)
Actually, Lebowski is owned by USA Films/Universal, as Universal owns the rest of the Polygram library not bought by MGM. Also, in stores, new copies of The Big Lebowski DVD now have the Universal logo on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks