What's new

Any software for my laptop? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Tony Novacek
This is a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. Is there any type of software I can download off the internet onto my laptop and use a microphone to record my stereo to see how low the bass goes or how high, stuff like that? I'm just wondering. If so can you tell me where?

Thanks!

Tony

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Hi Tony,
A number of us here at HTF us the ETF software (typically in conjunction with a Behringer Feedback Destroyer or BFD) for near-RTA type funtionality.
Here's a recent thread:
My BFD - ETF5 experience
You'll need a RS sound meter (your mike) as well as the ETF software.
Regards,
Mike

Real Name
Tony Novacek
Thanks for the response!

Okay, I am a little confused! First of all, i'm new to all of this so it's kind of hard to understand it all at ounce. So here's what I did.... I read the thread and all the links given (which is what made me confused a bit), then I downloaded the software and installed it. Next I downloaded the "Test CD". The test cd is another thing that confused me. I burned it and there are only 2 tracks. The first track has that static sound for about 8 min and the second track is blank for about 8 min. Is that correct? Now, do I have to go and buy all that equipment that they mention in the thread and links (BFD, Y adapters, Male/Female cables, etc)? Or can I just use the software and my laptop mic? Do I have to get a sound meter or can i just use the built in mic on my laptop?

Thanks for any more help!

Note: I have none of the equipment mentioned in that thread.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Hi Tony,

You might try posting a thread asking your Q's in the Speakers forum--you'll probably get more response there regarding ETF than here in the HT Basics forum.

I can understand being confused a bit. I'd recommend keep reading ETF threads (particularly problem solving and initial setup questions and the couple of websites devoted to ETF & BFDs). Things may slowly start to make sense.

I've not used the test CD, so can't help you out there. My ETF (v4) generates the needed test tones. Not sure if ETF5 is different.

No, you don't need a BFD to play with the software. Yes, you need a Radio Shack SPL meter, a number of interconnects, and the adapters. These will plug INTO your laptop mic (from the RS meter)--your laptop mic by itself wouldn't work.

Mike

Real Name
Tony Novacek
Mike, I am starting to understand it a little better now. So all I have to do is get all the parts and make the connections like shown here:

Then just take away the BFD.... right? I have a problem though! I am not using a powered sub. My receiver has a built in pre amp. I think this is why i need the test cd right? How would I connect the line out cable to my receiver/sub?
Thanks!
P.S. Can a Administrator move this thread to the proper forum for me?

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Hi Tony,

The pic you tried to post there didn't come through (just FYI), so don't quite know what you were asking about.

To have ETF generate test tones that emit through your speakers, you would use one of the adapters on the headphone output of your laptop to split the signal from there to a pair of normal interconnect cables. These interconnects would be run to the back of your receiver to an unused input (tape, CD2, DVD2, anything like that except PHONO). Switch your receiver to that input and then fire off the test tones from ETF. Works like a charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks