What's new

Any Schoolhouse Rock reviews? (1 Viewer)

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I'm eagerly anticipating this release next week! I've done a little searching, but haven't found any reviews yet. This will definitely receive a lot of play in our house, so I'm curious to hear how well they did on it.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I picked up my copy last night from an unnamed mass retailer. This is my first DVD review, so go easy.
Video
I must say that the image quality for the shorts was much better than I expected. It wasn't grainy, and the picture was sharp, and bright. There was very little dust or specs on the image. There was little to no video noise. It wasn't perfect, but then neither was the animation. I don't think thr transfer could have been any better, given the source.
Audio
The sound was right on track. It definitely had the volume at the right level. The dialog was clear. The music was not distracting or overpowering at all. I didn't notice any use of the surrounds, but then who would think that School House Rock would have surround? I don't really think it needed it.
The New Song
The DVD had a new song created just for the DVD, which stemed from the recent debates about the effectivenss of the electoral college. I enjoyed the new song, although it did not spoof the election troubles at all. There was a reason provided on the insert. The song was a bit of a cliche though. The whole song was based on the idea that:Everyone who graduates becomes a president.

The new song had DTS 5.1 audio, although I don't have a DTS receiver yet.
Menu's
Each theme area had it's own menu screen. (Grammer Rock, Science Rock, Multiplcation Rock, America Rock.) Each song had it's own character, and you click on the character to see the short. It also has a quick list, where you can select the songs from there. It also has a play all feature, and a Top Ten Jukebox.
Packaging
The packaging is really nice. The DVD comes in a nice double Alpha case. The insert includes the features, a short Q & A with the creator, and the lyrics to the top ten songs.
I have not viewed the second disc yet.
I would definitely recommend this purchase. For those of you that grew up with School House Rock, it is a must purchase! :emoji_thumbsup:

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Joshua...is the "Weather Song" complete??Does it include the lyrics "The Greatest Show on Earth"????

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I haven't gotten to watch that yet. I wasn't too interested in that, since I had never seen it before. I'll take a look at it later tonight.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
is the "Weather Song" complete??Does it include the lyrics "The Greatest Show on Earth"????
The long-lost song is called "The Weather Show." It ends with the line: "The weather show's the greatest show, the greatest show ... [thunder clap] Yes, sir!"

It does not include the "on Earth" reference that the songwriters were forced to drop because of a lawsuit from circus folks. So the introductory line "{Introducing the greatest show on Earth: the weather!}" is missing, and the last line has been changed as I indicated, with the thunder replacing the words "on Earth." Lawsuits are a powerful thing--more powerful than the weather, apparently.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It does not include the "on Earth" reference that the songwriters were forced to drop because of a lawsuit from circus folks. So the introductory line "{Introducing the greatest show on Earth: the weather!}" is missing, and the last line has been changed as I indicated, with the thunder replacing the words "on Earth."
I've never heard the song before — are these the only two changes?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I've never heard the song before — are these the only two changes?
Yes. The song was "long-lost" because of the legal issues. Someone who had never seen the song would never have noticed. This also explains why it's on Disc 2 as an extra, rather than on Disc 1. This collection is fantastic, my pick so far for best TV-related release of the year.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
did the weather show air on abc...or was it pulled due to legal issues before that?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
did the weather show air on abc...or was it pulled due to legal issues before that?
According to the Big Cartoon database, it originally aired around September 1979. Those initial airings are apparently what led to the lawsuits, and it was withdrawn. The missing lyrics on the new DVD are a slight bummer, but the alternative was not to have it at all.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The missing lyrics on the new DVD are a slight bummer, but the alternative was not to have it at all.
Exactly. Sure I would have liked all of the original lyrics to be intact but I would much rather prefer it be there at all. I haven't seen any of the Schoolhouse Rock cartoons, but have this pre-ordered (should get it tomorrow or Tuesday) because I have wanted to see them for a while. The Weather Show is the one I am most anticipating, and the one I'll watch first, since I am a meteorology major, so having it on there edited is by far the superior option to not having it on there at all, at least IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks