What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Any reason this ISN"T my video card blowing up on me? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
So I come home tonight, turn on the old computer, and it's up, but nothing on the monitor. I check my cabling. power LED is on on the monitor, cables all in snug.

I powered up my work laptop, it came on fine. I then disconnected the monitor data cable from the computer and plugged it into the laptop. VOILA!! lightbulb comes on! so is there any way this isn't my vid card? If it's not, I'd be disappointed, as the vid card was a refurb with only 90 day warranty from last summer. (I think).

I'm sad now.

What's a good video card these days? Mine was an MSI Geforce 3 Ti500.

Thoughts?
Comments?
Thanks!

(it's a good thing I happened along the computer part of this forum last night!! - came in handy. come to mention it, could this be anything to do with my installing mozilla firebird last night? I just want to cover all my bases.

btw the monitor data cable is fixed to the monitor, so I can't hook up the computer to the laptop and check.

Thanks!!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
If you don't even see a Bios screen I'd say the card's fried.

If you DO see a bios screen try booting into safe mode and play with the vid card drivers.

Brent

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
well... whatever

after playing with it repeatedly, turning the computer on and off, powering completely down, wiggling cables, etc. apparently it works now.

I tell ya, this is wierd, wild stuff!

Thanks Brent, I'll grab you if it happens again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks