What's new

Any pics of the SVS box subs yet? (the lower price ones) (1 Viewer)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
You think you guys can't stand the suspense?? How about the SVS team working on this for the last year?? ;^)
As you know the SVS News page has pretty much let the cat out of the bag regarding a full line of box subs due from us. So now, finally, here's the HTF sneak peek shots that are probably long overdue. We're doing something a bit different with this debut, we want to be able to ship out the first pre-orders in days, not weeks or months as we have done in the past. Suffice it to say these are not the most flattering pictures. Size is 20" tall (including baseplate), 18" wide, 20" deep).

So for those that have wanted the vaunted PCi performance, but in a more traditional box style, you won't have to wait too much longer. If things remain on track, we'll have pre-orders up by the end of the week, with shipping to start around the end of the month, first week of FEB at the latest (famous last words, those).
Given the PCi underpinnings of this PB1-ISD (that's Powered Box, single driver, ISD type, including the 325 watt BASH amp, down-firing ISD 12" woofer, 4" port etc.) you would expect PCi-like performance. In fact this model will perform very much like a 25-31PCi, that's been tuned to a lower 22Hz (a popular option still available on the PCi of course).
Like any box sub, this line will give up the footprint advantage of our cylinders, and will be heavier and cost a bit more than it's cylinder sibling (the PB1-ISD will come in around $599), but we know those customers more comfortable with a box form factor, understand this. We expect the spouse acceptance factor to be very high since you can tuck it in a corner, put a plant on it, lamp, Grandma's pictures, small animals, whatever.
Just kidding about the small animals bit. Having thrashed this photo sample for a couple of weeks, I'm quite certain that's not a good idea. I'm also quite certain a few folks will find this new sub worthy of its SVS logo.
We probably would have waited a bit longer to post this, but didn't want this thread to languish. Thanks for asking Josh.
Ron

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Very nice Ron and SVS. The box people will be happy to see a cube finally.

Questions:
======>
Dose the PB1-ISD have any boosting in it's plate amp or a sub sonic filter?
======>
Not looking for any trade secrets, just curious as to driver protection below tuning and if there is any boosting at a given freq....
Amp headroom, hate wasting that and don't see you needing or doing it but I ask anyway...

Nice clean look, (I like) and even your supposed "poor pic's" show the very durable finish you spoke of in the B-4 thread.

Thanx
Geoff

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

You are killing me. I had read enough material in the last few weeks to finally go ahead with the 25-31pci. Now I see this beautiful cube and I am second guessing again. Very nice styling. What exactly is the exterior material? Looks nice! Thanks for keeping me up at night tossing sub ideas around my head.

Here we go again.

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ron!
It's nice to finally see some evidence. It surely is tempting given the size. I suppose I'll just have to settle for the 25-31PCi/22 which arrives on Tuesday. ;)

Josh Wolfman

Stunt Coordinator
Nice!!! When can you pre-order one of these badboys AND will there be a plus version single driver? I might want a bit more performance but do not want to spend the money of dual drivers. Thx.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
I am at a loss how come the pictures of the PB1-ISD does not appear on SVS's website.

They are actually pretty good. The one of the sub in the corner shows it in an actual environment which displays a good perspective-relationship and the one of the rear/port/amp section shows good detail.

The one of the B-4 plus (Their new flagship sub) on the "SVS news" page, on the other hand, is.... Lacking? :b

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Josh,

Pre-orders will probably (read this is NOT cut in stone) be late this coming week with shipping starting the week after that. And yes, a single driver Plus version (let's call it the PB1-Plus for arguments sake shall we ;^) is definitely in the works though I can't say where it will slot into our box sub rollout thru the rest of this year. If I HAD to guess I'd say before Summer. Our suppliers own schedules sometimes dictate a "go slow" approach even if WE have all the other pieces in place.

John,

Unfortunately the fact we all wear many hats at SVS means that pic is just behind finishing up the user manuals, year end financials, and various ad and promotional efforts. We're hiring if anyone is interested in long hours, low/no pay and great job satisfaction (pay will come on line just in time to maintain job statisfaction if history is any guide ;^).

Besides, we do like to give HTF some exclusives now and again! 8^)

Ron

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Neato! Ron- I'm not as familiar with the cylinder subs of SVS, but as far as the PB1-ISD goes, phase *switch* (0, 180 deg) or a variable phase knob? And then I assume you do long throw to keep the distortion down? And I did see the reference about "multiple drivers" ?
25-31PCi: +/- 3 dB 25 Hz-100 Hz, so with 22 Hz tuning, the PB1-ISD would be 22 - 100 Hz +/- 3 dB?
I like the plinth (bass plate)! :)
The 20 x 18 x 20" is the PB1-ISD. Weight? Bypassable low pass filter? Yeah, an integrated subsonic filter would be neat...

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Ron, you can hire me...though I don't know what I could possibly do for you. ;)
I also think the look of the box sub is great and MUCH prefer the PB1-ISD to the B-4 plus. I think it's just that I don't like the corner blocks. I would much rather have seen a veneer wrap to keep the grain consistant. But with the performance results given by Brian, I'm sure I could live with it. :)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>Neato! Ron- I'm not as familiar with the cylinder subs of SVS, but as far as the PB1-ISD goes, phase *switch* (0, 180 deg) or a variable phase knob?>> And then I assume you do long throw to keep the distortion down?> And I did see the reference about "multiple drivers" ?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thats great Tom, the built in sub sonic, :emoji_thumbsup: and the weight tells the build story!!
A variable phase would have been nice but given a choice I'd take the driver protection and the 0/180 switch over it any day.
18-19hz in room, that should make all but the most hard core deep feeders happy. Again I'll mention as others that I really like the design. Clean looking and no fingers or paws getting at the driver. Glad to see a base plate as opposed to just legs or feet with spikes.
The pre-order list should be long on this one I would imagine, finally a small cubed SVS that should have many ah-smilen once fired up!
Regards
Geoff

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
PS,

For those interested, the finish is a highly refined version of the increasingly common "poly-urea" sprayed texture coat.

The vendor we are using for the main enclosure practically invented the process it the US and uses a very complex multi coat spray and high temperature curing procedure, all of which yields a very fine surface grain. It's very tough stuff and practically disappears in a corner due to its light scattering qualities (not unlike our fabric cylinders in that regard). Dust, fingerprints, drink rings, nothing shows or seems to affect it in the least. Pretty remarkable stuff and just the ticket for real world use we believe (having lived with some "piano gloss" speakers in the past I learned to hate them for the same reasons this sort of box finish just "shines" for lack of a better phrase ;^).

We're paying a good bit more for this level of American workmanship, (as opposed to the overseas knock-offs we were pitched many times) but we're sort of stuck on supporting local businesses wherever we can. Call us old-fashioned.

Ron

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Will there be passive versions as well? I don't know about others but I might consider one more sub (dang, I own 7) if it's passive (I bet others have spare amps and nothing for them to push as well).

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Fred,

Passive versions are a definite possibility. We'll get the powered ones out and the supply lines full and then determine if passive amps are still in demand.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks