What's new

Any opinions on D-Box 30X subs??? (1 Viewer)

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Hi there!
I've seen a lot of talk about SVS subs on this forum but I've yet to hear anyone mention the Canadian made subs from D-Box (www.d-box.com). My cousin has one and I have to admit it sounds pretty good. My only concern is that he bought it at Costoc for around $300Cdn. I'm just wondering what people on this forum might think about this sub, how it compares to some of the other more popular subs. so far I think for the money the D-Box seems like a good choice. Any thoughts on their subs or other speakers by D-Box?
- Mike

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I took a closer look at it the other day in Costco. The surround is tiny, which leads me to believe it doesn't have a lot of Xmax (how far the cone can travel linearly). I also measured it's external and port dimensions. From this I calculated the tuning frequency to be around 40hz (way to high for a sub).

I was going to have a friend try it, but after my closer inspection I've decided to go to the trouble of helping him build his own sub using a Dayton DVC 12" driver.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mike nice to see another winnipeger on the forum. I might suggest that you look for the Sony sub that a lot of people have haved about instead of the D-Box. Another option is to build your sub. I can lend a hand in that dept if you're interested.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
It is one of the worst sub's I have ever heard. It sounds SOOO BAD! Boomy! Oh yeah, it has no output either.

I'd build my own for a coupla' hundred more.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If Andrew's willing to help you out Mike, I'd seriously consider taking him up on the offer. He could help you build a Tempest or Dayton DVC15" based sub for $800CDN or less that would be able to take an SVS UltraCS.

Or a Shiva or Dayton DVC12" that would be on par or slightly better than an SVS 20-39PCi for around $500CDN.

If you have some more money than this to spend there are some other options capable of ridiculous output.

PS- I take it you sold your 15"DVC Andrew? What are you going to replace it with?

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Hey guys

Thanks for all the replies. I was just asking out of curiosity as to what people think of this line of subs. I'm not in the market for a sub right now, but I will be eventually.

Building a sub sounds like fun but I know very little about that sort of thing. When the time comes I will be sure to post back here.

Thanks again.

- Mike

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
PS- I take it you sold your 15"DVC Andrew? What are you going to replace it with?
Yes it sold last night. Its going to get replaced with a dual tempest IB sub that I'm going to build once we move into the house next week...can't wait to hear it.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Well Thomas keeps saying IB's are where its at so I guess that's where I'm going LOL Let me know if you're ever in Winnipeg

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Mike here's ThomasW's 12 shiva's a dancing IB sub. Mine will "only" use 2 15" tempest drivers.
Link Removed

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
It's an appreviation for inifinite baffel. You use another room, closet, attic, basement, whatever. The key elements are the area has to completely isolate the front wave from the back wave and both areas should be at least 5 times the combined VAS of all the drivers used.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Thanks again guys
ThomasW's 12 shiva's sure looks mean! :) I bet that can shake the house apart.
Dustin, I also looked at your DIY SonoSub. Pretty cool. When ever I get a house to put something like that in I'll be sure to look into this some more! :)
- Mike

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what the amp is, but I seem to remember him mentioning something about 2kiloW though. Even so, that many drivers he won't need much power to get things thumping. That is one high effieciency design.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks