What's new

any one here got a G5 (1 Viewer)

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
anyone here sprung on a G5 yet? I'm just drooling thinking about that thing.
Brice

oh, and if you have one and find that you don't want it, you can always give it to me.:D

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Not too many, because some lucky scientist at Virginia Tech took 2200 Dual 2Ghz G5s all for him/herself. :D

NicholasL

Second Unit
I had pre-ordered a dual 2 gig G5 months ago from my college (since the educational discounts are phenomenal. I think I was going to pay $3000 for the unit shipped with the Radeon 9800 Pro). But alas, I diverted the funds towards 3 Parasound Halo units. I just couldn't resist. Oh well...my 12 inch PowerBook will tide me over for another few months.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I've got a Dual 2Ghz G5 on order. No idea when it'll arrive.

Work is paying for this machine. :) I'm thinking about buying a 12" powerbook after the next revision. It'll replace my 15" generation 2 powerbook. Also thinking about getting the next revision of the ibook for my wife, it'll replace her G3 'Pismo' Powerbook.

NicholasL

Second Unit
I heard rumor that the next generation ibook will be G4 processors, and that one revision after this coming one for the powerbooks (their top of the line titanium will probably be a single 1.42ghz processor) will feature the G5 chip. But that is a big IF. The G5 processors run so hot, and I don't know if apple has figured out a way to keep that sexy slim look of powerbooks if they will use such a hot running processor.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I've heard talk from Apple engineers that the G5 is at least two years away from showing up in a Powerbook. It's big, it's hot and it sucks power like nobody's business. So I'm not going to wait for a G5 in a Powerbook.

NicholasL

Second Unit
Haha DonRoeber, I just noticed your signature. That's from Moulin Rouge isn't it? I like how you have it in courier final draft (screenplay standard) text as well.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I heard rumor that the next generation ibook will be G4 processors
From the latest rumors I'm hearing, Motorola is getting worse and worse at delivering new (G4) processors -- thus the next PowerBook revision keeps getting delayed.

I'm betting that the iBook will get a new IBM G3 with an AltiVec unit tacked on and that the power/heat problems of the G5 will be solved, Apple will sue Motorola for a long string of broken promisses and never buy a thing from them ever again.

The above is strictly a theory, I have no inside info, but I think the writing is on the wall for the Apple/Motorola relationship.

Ted

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Just got back from a week and a half in San Francisco and I have word that my G5 now awaits in the office. Alas, it's only a 1.6 GHz, but I'm not complaining when the Firm's picking up the tab. :D Anyhow, I got to play around with a 1.6 at a CompUSA while I was in Frisco and it was screaming fast even with only the minimum 256MB RAM installed. Now if Apple would just annouce a damned re-design of the 15-inch PowerBook, I'll be all set. :angry:

NicholasL

Second Unit
I was at the apple store the other day and pushed my way to the front of the crowd to try out their 1.8 ghz G5...for some reason the apple stores don't yet have the dual 2ghz version yet. I was impressed, but not blown away. I put it to the test. Monitoring the CPU usage, I started rendering a long segment in FCP 4, I played a movie trailer using Sherlock, Watched a clip of "Finding Nemo" in quicktime, surfed the internet with about 15 pages open, chatted on AIM, played a song on itunes, typed useless babble on MS Word, had some weird but nice looking realtime-adjustable 3D wave graphic going on, as well as a few other apps running in the background (photoshop, dvd studio pro, etc).

Now granted, this is alot of things going on. But I've also had this much going on my dual 1.25ghz G4 (which I've sold). There was noticeable lag in the G5, and even the icons at the bottom slowed down as I scanned past them. I think the only G5 that will be truly worth getting is the 2ghz model, because it sports 2 processors. A single G5 just isn't powerful enough.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Keep in mind that a number of operating system changes will be made in Jaguar to take advantage of the 64-bit processors in the G5s. People are running all sorts of benchmarks now, comparing G4s running 10.2.6 to G5s running 10.2.7. I'd like to see benchmarks run again when both systems have 10.3 on them later this fall. I think we'll see substantial improvements in the G5s scores.

Off topic, but Apple speed-bumped the iMacs this morning to 1.25Ghz G4s, and increased the iPods from 15 to 20gb and 30 to 40gb. I keep waiting for my 5gb iPod to die, but it's still trucking on!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.