What's new

Any Non-HDTV 16x9 televisions? (1 Viewer)

Gregory E

Second Unit
Are there any non-digital widescreen televisions on the market? Like a 32 inch or so? I thought there was but nobody seems to carry them. I'd like to take advantage of widescreen DVDs without shelling out all the money for a digital tv.

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 57" Pioneer Elite 1009W which is a 16x9 non-HD set. I have also seen a 40" Samsung 16x9 LCD monitor which I think only had 480p resolution. The Samsung was about $2,500.

IMO, 16x9 TVs are getting cheaper and cheaper to the point where it makes no sense to buy a non-HD version. Besides, chances are, there aren't any more 16x9 non-HD capable sets being produced.

For what you are looking for, consider RCA's 38" direct tube 16x9 set. For about $2,100-2,400, you get a true HDTV, ie. one with a built in HD tuner compatible with OTA and DirecTV.

Glen

Gregory E

Second Unit
Yeah, you're right. For those prices it wouldn't make any sense to get non-HD tv. I guess I'll start saving my pennies...

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
As to whether a TV is HD or not, it helps I think to distinguish between what the TV takes in and what it displays. TVs vary enormously in their display resolution. Some are so-called fixed-pixel displays, and some (e.g., CRTs) are not, but except for standard (NTSC, PAL) TVs, most of the more advanced TVs take in more different resolutions than they can display. They scale their inputs up or down.

So, a TV with a vertical resolution of 480 could indeed be an HD-ready TV if it takes in the HD resolutions (720p and 1080i).

I doubt very much if there is any currently-made 16:9 TV that is not HD ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks