Sony Wega (32FS13)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveK, Jan 22, 2002.

1. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I took advantage of the current Best Buy 24-month same as cash offer and purchased the Sony Wega KV-32FS13, which is the entry level 32" Wega. I didn't want or need PIP, but I did want S-Video and component video inputs, and I also wanted easy access to the 16x9 screen format. I've read reviews and comments about the Sony which range from "best picture available on a non-HD set" to comments implying that it is overpriced junk. Hopefully I'll be pleased with my purchase, as I've certainly been extremely pleased with my 27" Zenith I've had for 7 years. I hope I'm not taking a step up in size but down in picture quality. I wasn't ready to make the big jump to HDTV or to a 16x9 television, but I'm hoping that I'll be satisfied with the Sony Wega. I do have the Avia disc, so I'll be able to do any calibration that may be required.

I'd be interested in comments from current Wega owners. Please let me know what you think of your Sony. Thanks.

Steve K.

2. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

I certainly like mine. Best picture I've ever had.

3. TimG

TimG Second Unit

I have also been looking at this set. Everywhere I have looked it has been $900 bucks, nobody seems to want to negotiate prices anymore [​IMG] I was impressed with what I saw of it though. Only found one other 32" set that had a squeeze in the user menu, but of course it wasn't a flat tube. Let us know what you think of the tv after you have lived with it for a while.
    TimG

4. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Tim- I'll be happy to do that. It won't be delivered for another week or so, but I'll certainly be happy to post my commments after using it for a while. As you mentioned, $900 seems to be the going price on this set. But for me, the 24-month same as cash deal was too good to pass up. Best Buy frequently does 12-month deals with perhaps an occasional 18-month, but I don't recall ever seeing a 24-month free financing deal before, at least not on direct view televisions. That convinced me to buy it now rather than waiting until later.

Ron- thanks for the comments. Needless to say, I had a good bit of buyer's remorse both before and after buying this TV. There's really nothing wrong with the Zenith I have now, and obviously the Sony Wega is rather expensive. So it's nice to see a favorable comment.

I'm obviously eagerly looking forward to it being delivered next week.

Steve K.

5. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

I've had my 36' Wega (36FS13) for 1 month and just love it.

The 16:9 enhancement mode is awesome. I had to do minimal tweaking using Avia.

Randy T

6. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I've had my Sony WEGA KV-32FV27 since July 7th of last year. This is one beautiful TV set. The anamorphic squeeze makes DVDs look like HDTV! Undoubtedly the best picture I've ever had (even 4:3 sources pretty decent). Price paid for the TV total: $1169.97 price-matched @ Sears. Total price included the free stand as well! Gorgeous TV Set. I highly recommend the WEGA line if you want the best DVD picture short of HDTV sets. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Thanks for the comments, everybody. They certainly helped to eliminate (or at least reduce) my buyer's remorse. Needless to say, I'm very much looking forward to having the set delivered next week. It sounds like I made a wise decision. Thanks again.

Steve K.

8. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Damn, now you guys are going to make me go out and buy one this weekend. [​IMG] Must not give in....must not give in. [​IMG]
    TimG

9. Todd Beachler

Todd Beachler Stunt Coordinator

Check out Crazy Eddie for the 32FS13 Great price at $744! Someone in another thread was able to print out that page and have a local Sears pricematch it! Good price on the 36FS13 as well.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, another vote of confidence about the WEGAs. My FV-series wonder has been serving me fine; the 16:9 squeeze makes it worthwhile. Fine sets, these things. Good purchase prices, all of you. I friggin' paid $1,400 ("discounted") for mine about a year ago.

11. Steve jc

Steve jc Agent

I've had the 32fs13 since Oct. Last month I finally got confident enough(through hours of searching and reading)to access the service menu to fix the few problems I've noticed, primarily red push and black level, which seem to be common among most wegas. Info can be found here: http://members.accessus.net/~090/awh...html?KeohiHDTV The fixes improved an already impressive picture and were easy to perform. I also have a small problem with uneven brightness and have yet to read of a solution other than coil replacement, which offers questionable results. I got 10% off and 18 mos. free financing with a best buy coupon. Still the best $810 I ever spent.

12. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Got my Sony 32" FV27 yesterday... haven't really had a chance to play with it, but the colors seem somewhat muted, especially the yellow. Perhaps my last tube was way off and I have to adjust my eye. Aside from that, I can't get over how great the 16x9 mode looks.

13. Michael St. Clair

I have a 27FS12 (old model) with squeeze and love it. It is not my main set (53" HDTV) but it sure has a great picture. I don't really use the squeeze mode any more since I no longer watch DVDs on it, but I do think they are the best interlaced sets on the market for Picture Quality.

I don't trust Sony reliability so I bought an extended warranty (4 years in-home for $60).

14. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Well, I've had my set a few weeks now, and just got it back from a week plus in the repair shop. It had some geometry problems and a very noticeable accent of red colors. Unfortunately, it still has those same problems. They supposedly resoldered some loose connections and made some other adjustments. The only problem is that it looks the same now as it did before. I can live with the geometry (straight lines are not straight), but the predominance of red really bothers me. It is more noticeable on indoor scenes in low light than outdoor scenes, and is more noticeable with DVD than with other inputs.
    I guess I'll need to go into the service menu and fiddle with a couple of the settings that determine the amount of red in the picture. I may also need to try different component cables. I did previously calibrate my set and will do so again after I fiddle with the service menu adjustments (one at a time so I can see which one works best).
    Other than the red emphasis, everything else looks very good. But somehow, seeing everybody in a movie looking badly sunburned and having reddish/brown hair is somewhat of a distraction. This face is only a slight exaggeration, both in terms of the color it shows and my feelings about it. [​IMG]

15. Michael St. Clair

Red Push:

If there is an AXIS setting in the service menu, try setting it to '0'.

If there is an AXPL setting in the service menu, try setting it to '1'.

16. Steve jc

Steve jc Agent

SteveK, I have the exact same model. I set the AXNT parameter to "0"(preset was "1"). This was the only adjustment I made pertaining to red push and it made a noticable difference.