What's new

Any new 38" direct-view 16:9 sets coming out? (1 Viewer)

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Are any manufacturers besides RCA and Loewe planning to produce a 38" direct-view 16:9 HDTV? Or anything larger than 34"?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
My crystal ball says no more 38" 16:9 tubes any time soon. The RCA isn't selling all that well and most people have never even heard of Loewe. Loewe prices are way too high. The only thing clouding my crystal ball is Sony.

With the introduction of the Sony XBR 700 40" 4X3 though, Sony must feel the need for larger tubes. I wouldn't be surprised to see something larger than the 34" 16:9 from Sony in a year or so. With the experience they gain making the gigantic 40" tube, they should be able to make a 38 or possibly 40" 16:9.

Some people believe that buying a tube larger than 36" 4X3 is not money well spent. According to this logic, you should look at rear projectors if you want more.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Thanks, Arthur. Are any of the 16:9 direct-view HDTV sets selling particularly well?
And as for direct-view versus rear-projection, I really dislike the limited viewing angle of a RPTV, and I don't want a huge picture -- just a little larger than 34".

Bill_M

Agent
I don't call a 120 degree viewing angle or more from RPTVs limiting. If you want more resolution and can fit a larger screen then you should go with an RPTV. I did a side by side comparison of RCA's 38" and their squeezable 4x3 52" both displaying HD and the RPTV obviously had more resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks