What's new

Any Negatives about SVS? (1 Viewer)

russel

Auditioning
I was wondering if there were any negative reviews or negative comments about SV subwoofers. I know it that all of the consistently high praise of the SVS's definitely indicate that they put out great products. But I don't think that means their products don't have any flaws or drawbacks. But since I can't actually listen to subwoofer until I actually buy one, I was wondering if there were negative aspects about SVS? For instance, I found a thread indicating that the despite the ability to reach higher SPL levels, the tone of the SVS is not as good as the HSU. Don't know if that's true or not, but I am looking for comments like this so I can evaluate if its worth risking shipping costs to try out an SVS.

Finally, is there anyone in the San Jose, CA area that has an SVS that would be willing to let me come over and listen to their sub?

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
...yes...there is one negative about SVS subs: I can't afford to buy more! :D

Sorry, couldn't pass that up... :b

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Russel- If you can wait 10 days or so, my soon-to-arrive brand spankin' new PB2-Ultra (PB12-Ultra/2) is now in San Francisco on its way to me in Santa Clara. (Allows me time for proper setup.)

As far as downsides, for me the *only* thing I can think of is that the shipping price is kind of high. But I think I have also seen that SVS doesn't charge us any more than they are charged, that's just the price of shipping these big behemoths... :)

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator
Haven't found any negatives yet, but ask my wife...
she'll give you a list, here's a couple of good ones...

It's too big...

I could put a table there...

Eric Chong

Grip
Russel,

Why don't you put a list of your requirements down in what you are looking for in a sub such as:

SPL (at given freq's)
extension
construction
size
color
passive / active etc
controls (x-over, phase, tuning etc)
warranty and support etc
etc

Then we will see if there is a sub - SVS or other that will meet your requirements. What one person may see as a negative may be a possitive for another. For example, KeithY's wife thinks they are too big (negative). I on the other hand think the bigger the better (positive)as laws of physics are on the side of deeper bass / higher SPLs with larger enclosures all else being equal.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I heard Bose makes SVS products! All a SVS is is a Bose Acoustamass module in a bigger box!

It's true, I swear!

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Big- low WAF especially the black /high tubes, the dual woofer subs would dwarf over uk sized rooms.
No retail outlets- can't hear them side by side with other subs, and also a negative buying from abroad (at least those in the US can return it for only a small loss in return shipping charges.
Internet direct, so most assume big-name brands are "better"

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Do you have a link to that post or thread?

I have an HSU 1225, and its a fine sub, but its just a sub. Low, loud, and clean are all that matters, although smooth response across its range is also a good thing. I would not expect an HSU to have better "tone" than an equivalent SVS.

If the mentioned post uses words like "Fast", "Tight", "Musical", of "Rhythm and Pace", I would probably take it all with a grain of salt (a big one, in fact).

BGL

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I have several things negative to say about SvS

1. I can't afford a B4 (well I could but that is the excuse I use to convince myself not to buy one)
2. I can't afford 2 PB12/2 Ultras (well I could but that is the excuse I use to convince myself not to buy one)
3. I can't believe how much I have spent on fixing cracks on my plaster walls and ceilings. Darn old house. (I have become a pro at this Thank you Tom and Ron)

4. The wait for the my 2 PB10's could be very long.

My PC Ultras are awesome!!!!!( sorry not negative but note worthy)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus

I also agree that this is a true negative. Also maybe that moving my sub around the velvet cover getts bunched up, I really hate that.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:
__________________________________________________ ________

If the mentioned post uses words like "Fast", "Tight", "Musical", of "Rhythm and Pace", I would probably take it all with a grain of salt (a big one, in fact).
__________________________________________________ ________

...and so would I! Ah, a thinking man!... :emoji_thumbsup:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I have heard of very few negatives. As with any piece of electronics, I am sure you run across a bad amp or encounter shipping damage. I think the difference is that there Customer service is so superior that Any problem will be fixed right away. Just wish they could change the design of the PB12 to look more like a PB10. I think it is quite a bit more attractive. I have never seen a subwoofer without a true downside except for SVS. I have heard very few complaints.

Greg

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Yes. Because they are quite popular, despite the fact that they perform well for the money, have good customer service, etc. people are always looking for something different to distinguish their system from others. A lot of people just don't like following the wave.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
They aren't located in Canada so shipping them up here almost doubles the price, all said and done.

That's what holds me off!

Brent

Mary M S

Screenwriter
..people are always looking for something different to distinguish their system from others. A lot of people just don’t like following the wave.

That was me. I worry over ‘too good to be true?’ senarios, having almost a phobia in which I imagine I am the only one at times who has a proclivity to notice that the emperor is NAKED!! These type concerns send me into tailspins to research all little known avenues and every feasible alternative to a “Popular choice”. . I freely admit to having held a bias against a SVS purchase. I bought one in spite of myself, not feeling up to joining SVS groupie status …the thought annoyed me. :) My requriements severely limited my options however and I took the plunge.

My criteria for purchase were: 1.) purchase the largest cubic volume I could shoehorn into a very small area. For my room I needed to locate the sub behind a corner placed 60” screen which left a small triangle gap at the two 90 degree walls for sub placement. 2.) Custom rack was full of separates I am currently using; necessitating an on-board powered sub.

Negatives for me while contemplating the SVS: were Size/ Cloth wrap/ cylinders, not as pleasing as box shape (personal preference in taste)
Positives were: Size: the cylinder shape gave me the largest cubic volume possible to place in that triangle shaped corner. A box enclosure would have limited dimensions severely. Since I had done a quick study of the physics of bass, I was concerned I would have to spend at minimum 3 times what I spent on the PC-Ultra to have the build quality/technology which could overcome the limiting dimensions of a smaller sealed box enclosure to achieve an equal-level quality of sound.

I seriously looked at the TN line of HSU ‘tube’ models, but had to exclude early on (before I finished comparisons) based on the powered requirement, since all TN line sub amps are outboard. I was however very concerned over many of the consumer rave reviews regarding the SVS’s which tended to make me think of (when reading, due to wordage) exhausting amounts of bone and mind numbing BOOM.

I noted SVS’s FR charts and THD, and hoped for the best. I wanted bass with authority going as low as I could achieve due to my box dimension restrictions. Additionally, (I will use this term…no matter its unpopularity)….was extremely concerned that the bass not just achieve high SPL, with controlled distortion levels, - but achieve it musically. When I read some posters, "blow your hair back, shake the pictures down, facture your sheetrock", I could not equate that terminology to accousticly accurate and pleasing sensations.

I wanted the SS wood finish, on the PC-Ultra, but could not get a quick answer out of SVS regarding whether a custom order was possible, (had some bass deprived depressed listeners at home harassing me as to how quickly I was going to finalize my choice and get a new sub in-house). Having to have the amp on board I made a semi snap decision to purchase the ready to ship: PC-Ultra.

At the moment could not be more pleased, I have been extremely impressed with the quality gain in LF, the SVS has added to my system. It is one of the more dramatic improvements I have made to the over all sound of my HT and music. I have the PC-U tuned to 12Hz. I am getting away with the lower tuning with (what I believe) to be a certain amount of confidence as regards the health of the driver even though we do tend to play DVD action-adventure films at very high dB levels. Since this room is small the gain on the Ultra is set low, and the unit (I believe) achieves extra room gain due to it's corner loading.

When I have time I intend to plot my rooms FR at all 3 tuning possibilities for the Ultra, to see which is indeed the best setup for it.

I had shipping damage to the Port grill, which I notified SVS regarding, as soon as unit was received. They offered to ship a replacement immediately, but I asked them to hold, till I had had time to demo the SVS for about 8 to 10 days in my home. I just wanted to notify SVS so that I would not be libel if I returned the unit. (I felt it was senseless for SVS to pay for shipping the part, - if I decided to return the sub) Once I determined I was purchasing the PC-Ultra, I called Customer S, who replaced the ring immediately.

I cannot help regarding a comparison between the sound of the SVS and an HSU comparable model. I had intended to demo each (in cylinders) before my purchase but could not due to my particular requirement for onboard power. I understand both to be fine companies with loyal followings, who create well-built products. I am extremely impressed with the sound quality and response of the SVS, PC-Ultra.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Great post.....

I can't envision a genuine need for the 12 Hz tune for any application, DVD or music. The loss in system sensitivity and the possibility of compression at "very high dB levels" is not worth the trade-off for extension into the 9-10 Hz region.

I would dare say the 16 Hz tune (with room gain included) will exhibit a flat or slightly rising response to about 12-13 Hz, while still retaining two 3" flared ports for much better sensitivity and much less of a chance to encounter compression at high playback levels.

When I owned a 20-39PC+, I always ran it in the 20 Hz tune, and even then it showed good extension to 16 Hz in-room; plenty deep enough for nearly all DVDs. With all three ports open, your PC-Ultra will operate the most efficiently, offer the most dynamic range, and the least potential for port noise under heavy load.

I would at least try the 16 Hz tune for a while; I think you might appreciate what it does in terms of dynamics and output capability.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
I also agree with only one port tune for the 20hz models (I have the "lesser" Plus) In my setup plugging two ports added nothing, in fact some port noise was noticeable. So I just went back to 1 plugged (16hz) that had more depth than the stock 20hz tune, with no noticeable port noise (although I am in a room just under 1000sq ft)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks