What's new

Any "Midnight Cowboy" 16x9 remaster??? (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm surprised that they didn't include this in the new "Controversial Classics" collection. After all, this film was originally rated X.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
No kidding. I'll pony up the dough, though. I'm more than willing to support any studios that give care and attention to the great films of that particular era.
Definitely! I wonder if there's ever been a Tuesday that was filled with as many great releases as this one, film AND actor wise.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that they didn't include this in the new "Controversial Classics" collection. After all, this film was originally rated X.
Isn't Midnight Cowboy an MGM property?

I guess it wouldn't have fit the theme anyway regarding politics of media.

February's gonna be an excellent and much anticipated month for 70's cinema - if we get a true S.E. of The Graduate as well, that'll cover a good portion of some of the highest requested updated releases we've been requesting for years!

This is a great announcement and with the word on The Peanuts theatricals from Paramount as well (albeit neglecting to include my favorite title!) I'm really excited for the upcoming DVD-spending months!!!

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
One of my all-time favorite films, to my thinking a film that works on many different levels.

For those interested, there was a long article on Midnight Cowboy in the March 2005 edition of Vanity Fair. Well worth reading.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
midnightcowboy.jpg

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The cover art looks a bit clumsy, but who cares. Also, is the audio simply mono or have they 'created' a 5.1 mix, which would be cool for the music, if nothing else.
It's not yet up for pre-order anywhere, though. Unless you live in Europe: Play USA.com

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Extras seem blah-like. The R2 has a commentary and other stuff that's not here, at least according to DavisDVD.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
On a side note, HDnet is already showing new HD prints of Network on Unbearable Lightness Of Being during December. Hopefully they'll also be showing All the President's Men and Dog Day Afternoon soon.
I've never see any of these films except for ATPM, and it'll be nice to see them in HD widescreen before making a decision to buy them. I likely will anyway though, knowing me. :)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Very excited... but why couldn't they have just stuck with the original poster art, that cover looks terrible.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
That release was scrapped. No SE of Midnight Cowboy is currently on the schedule in Europe - trust me, I have checked thoroughly! That commentary must merely have been proposed and never recorded. I mean, why would MGM record a commentary and then not use it?
However, I would be gutted if a superior edition was released in the UK! But I love the movie and I haven't seen it for about two years - waiting for a new, superior transfer... and here it is! :D

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I guess they did the different coverart to clearly differentiate this release from the previous one. Is it still in print?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD Times now has those extras in full:
This long-awaited 2-Disc Collector’s Edition includes the following features:
Digitally remastered from an all-new high definition transfer
1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 Surround (Newly created 5.1 from Mono)
English (Original Mono)
French DD5.1 Surround
English, French & Spanish subtitles
Audio commentary by producer Jerome Hellman
"After Midnight - Reflecting on the classic 35 years later" documentary
"Controversy and Acclaim" documentary
"Celebrating Schlesinger" featurette
Photo Gallery

HMV in the UK originally stated that on the R2 (still to be officially announced) Hoffman and Voight also featured on the commentary; either a mistake or they've been edited out...either way, I still think Sony is trying it on price-wise...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks