What's new

Any "Midnight Cowboy" 16x9 remaster??? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I mean, "C'mon!!!"
This is a CLASSIC! Even the VHS had a documentary!
Old DVD... NADA!!!!!!
Any word...?
:) D
Ooooooh, hey! How about a 16x9 "Taking of Pelham 123"...?

Better yet: the Criterion LD with that great John Schlesinger commentary.

MGM has never come up with a transfer of this movie in any medium as good as this one.

MK

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
This is only my conjecture on the subject, I assume this would be a prime candidate for a Special Edition from MGM.
They're going back and redoing alot of their 'bare bones' discs (I.E. Raging Bull and Fargo). And they have already redone quite a few titles... nothing is coming to mind right now, but it's early on a Sunday morning. :)

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Deepak,

Funny that you also mentioned the Graduate. I love these two movies and have always considered them side by side as classics. For some reason whenever I think of one, I think of the other. I look forward to any special editions of either disc.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
The remastered MGM/UA laserdisc (came out in '94, I think) was FAR superior to the Criterion LD. Additionally, that remastered LD had a terrific documentary with ample contributions from Schlesinger. It's ridiculous that MGM didn't have the brains to use this documentary for the current DVD when they had already spent the money to the docu!

If MGM is listening, COWBOY is a prime candidate for re-issue in a special edition. Much more worthy as an Oscar winning best picture for this treatment than some of the low-budget dreck that has received lavish treatment....

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Paul,
That's no coincidence. These two movies have a lot in common. Both were made in the late-60's and have Dustin Hoffman in them. Moreover, both are MGM DVDs badly in need of anamorphic remasters ... :)
Deepak

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Interesting....
MGM had released a SE of Original "Rollerball" in R2 and Australia with a new anamorphic transfer and commantary by Norman Jewison and William Harrison, and now "MIdnight" is anamorphic in R2....?!?!?
Hello!!!! These are AMERICAN made Films!! They are ABOUT America!!! Why on EARTH are the new versions being released elsewhere first?!?!?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Okay, so now that "The Graduate" is scheduled for a Special Edition release... what's the word on "Midnight Cowboy"?

I just bought the current barebones disc last night for under $10 and the transfer left a lot to be desired...

Is there any chance that MGM might revisit this classic in 2005?

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I saw somewhere that MGM are releasing a new SE of 'Midnight Cowboy' later this year in Region 2. Usually, this presages a later release in R1. (I'm not sure why these releases can happen earlier in R2 than R1 - can someone explain this?)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
A Special Edition was listed at Play.com in November, with a June release date, but I see that it has now been removed. No other e-tailers list it, either.

I'm sure there are plans for it, but I won't be holding my breath until there is an official press release.

It's a great film and a true SE DVD is well overdue. I'd love to hear the Schlesinger commentary, but it's unlikely that we'll get it.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A Special Edition was listed at Play.com in November, with a June release date, but I see that it has now been removed. No other e-tailers list it, either.
It is still listed at HMV here with the following extras:
Audio Commentary By Jon Voight, Dustin Hoffman And Producer Jerome Hellman
After Midnight: Reflecting On A Classic 35 Years Later - Documentary
Midnight Cowboy Revisited - Documentary
Celebrating Schlessnger - Featurette
The X Factor - Featurette
Everybody's Still Talkin - Featurette

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
yaah!

and THE GRADUATE is getting an upgraded SE release later this year, too, first in R2....

I beleive I read that on Digital Bits

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Well, the new SE of Raging Bull contains the Scorsese / Schoonmaker Criterion commentary, does it not? Or is it an all-new recording?
Don't know but since it is the same two people doing the commentary one would think it likely that MGM made a deal with Criterion. Thus hope springs eternal that the Schlesinger/Midnight Cowboy SE will contain the Criterion commentary as well.

The laserdisc crowd has been telling us how good the Schlesinger commentary is for many years now. I'd love to find out for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks