What's new

Any info or reviews on the new Hitachi UltraVision Digital Directors Series 57XWX20B? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I was reading May's issue os Audio Video Interiors and saw a very favorable review in regards to the new Hitachi UltraVision 57XWX20B. I was pretty much sold on DLP technology but this new crt hdtv looks to be a gem. It is hard to say though based on only one review. Does anyone else know anything about this model? Is there going to be a 65inch model?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I just went to Hitachi's websight and saw that there is a 65 inch model. :) It looks to only have two sets of component inputs. I was hoping for three. Let me ask. If I used the DVI input would it defeat the component inputs on input one? I want to beable to Have HDTV through the DVI input and then use the two component inputs for a progressive scan dvd player and my XBOX. Thanks for your help.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
these are some excellent sets and very tweekable.

the DVI is separate

Hope this helped

regards

gregg

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Kind of helped. Have you actually viewed material on the 57 or 65 inch models? And when you say the DVI is seperate, do you mean I could still use the component as well? I read that it might disable the component when using DVI.

Mike_Thor

Grip
Hi Jeff,

I'm also looking to purchase this RPTV (51" version" next weeks. After browsing this forum, I have realized that there is SOOO much to learn about HT. I'm going with this set over the Sony and Mits because this one was side by side with the Sony and picture on the Sony was very nice but the Hitachi just looked better. The Mits didn't have a DVI input which I want for my future HTPC. If any other owners of these sets would offer their opinions, I would appreciate it also.

Thanks

Mike

TimWalsh

Auditioning
I had the 65swx for a day before switching to the 57swx. The swx series is basically the xwx without the HD tuner and fancy black cabinet. The 65 was too big and the PQ was too soft for my likes. Overall, the reviews I've read over the last six months confirm my experiences so far. I'm looking forward to Gregg calibrating my set next month - counting the days!!;)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Tim,
I was trying to do comparisons between the xwx and swx and that is the conclusion I came to. So is everything else the same? Same picture quality, same 7 inch crt guns? If I am going to spend this much money I want the best. And if the price difference is not that big I will go the xwx way. Also I am kind of confused how built in hdtv decoders work. Can you help with this? I have DirectTv, don't I still need to get an hdtv DirectTv tuner? If that is the case why would I need a built in one? Thanks.

Mike_Thor

Grip
From what I understand (which might not be much) you will need a HDTV DTV reciever and pass the component video into the set. I'm in the same boat except I am getting Dish Net. The only thing that an internal tuner keeps you from doing is viewing HDTV signal from your cable co without a top-set HDTV tuner. Not an issue for us satty TV guys.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike

TimWalsh

Auditioning
I'm waiting for the DISH PVR921, their HDTV Tuner/Recorder that will have a DVI connection (DirectTV will have a HDTV/ TIVO unit by the end of the year supposedly) so the built in tuner on the XWX wasn't an issue for me. Plus, back in December 2002 there was a $1500 price difference between the two and in the dark you can't see the black panels!! The 7" wide-neck crts are the same in both units (swx/xwx) but the 57" has been the better overall performer PQ-wise in the different forums I have been following. Rumor has it that those guns are the same as in the Elites from Pioneer. Good Luck.
Tim

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I would assume that the pq would be a little better on the 57 inch due to it's smaller size, but if the pq is not that big of a difference between the 2, then I definately want the 65 inch model.

TimWalsh

Auditioning
Jeff,
PQ was about the same on DVD with component. My DISH PQ with composite was markedly better on the 57". It is still not anywhere near what I would call good, but the kids tolerate it. I would rather watch cable on my 13" Tosh in the kitchen and then head into the next room when it's time to get serious with a DVD. BTW, I am only sitting about 9.5 feet from the Hit 57, YMMV.
Tim

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Dvd and HDTV playback are what is the most important to me so it sounds like the 65 inch model will do just fine. I can tolerate NTSC signals on it, when I watch a normal broadcast I am not as critical of a viewer compared to dvd or hdtv.

Mike_Thor

Grip
I went down to the local Circuit City yesterday and had another look at the Hitachi's in question. WOW! They look great. Pretty much sealed the deal and I'll be back payday to pick up the 57XWX20B.

This is my 1st purchase from Circuit City and I'm wondering what some of you have to say about them? How are they on returns/warranty work, etc?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks