What's new

Any Guesses on 2021 4K, Blue Ray, DVD releases? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Ok. Again I know there's a pandemic going on, but does anyone have any educated guesses on what upcoming projects might be coming out in 2021?

I'm going to go out on the limb and guess we'll have a Bonanza season 12, the (new) Lost in Space season 2, more Head of the Class, maybe The Dark Crystal: Age of Restistance?

There is a rumor that Paramount is considering putting out Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Director's Cut on 4K. Maybe some more Star Trek on 4K? Kino Lorber has an active list of films coming out for 2021. I'm really hoping that they can get What's So Bad About Feeling Good? out in late summer or early fall. Will probably get some extra copies for some friends because its been on my Holy Grail list.

This has nothing to do with films on Blue Ray or 4K, but I am looking forward to what La La Land Records has planned for 2021, and hope they can go through with them. Some Universal tv soundtracks, I hope.

Any ideas.

Jthree

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
No news from me, but I’ll wager that WAC will finally release The Pride of the Yankees”, “Damn Yankees”, The Nuns Story”, “National Velvet” and “Ryans Daughter”.

Criterion? I’ll wager on “Bringing Up Baby”, “Napoleon” and another Astaire & Rogers. Oh, yes, and one more Powell & Pressburger, please.

Universal? Perhaps “Thoroughly Modern Millie”, “Flower Drum Song” and another 4K/UHD 4-pack of Alfred Hitchcock.

Here’s to high hopes and inspiration for 2021. :cheers:

Last edited:

old mole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
Certainly an Indiana Jones 4k Box Set should be coming soon. Hope your right about Bringing Up Baby. Been waiting forever for this film on Blu-ray.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Like to see Criterion release a Francois Truffaut box set just like the recent Fellini one. Also more from Orson Welles like The Trial, The Other Side of the Wind and a upgrade on Mr. Arkadin. Citizen Kane will have it's 80th anniversary so who knows if there will be any new release?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Ok. Again I know there's a pandemic going on, but does anyone have any educated guesses on what upcoming projects might be coming out in 2021?

I'm going to go out on the limb and guess we'll have a Bonanza season 12, the (new) Lost in Space season 2, more Head of the Class, maybe The Dark Crystal: Age of Restistance?

There is a rumor that Paramount is considering putting out Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Director's Cut on 4K. Maybe some more Star Trek on 4K? Kino Lorber has an active list of films coming out for 2021. I'm really hoping that they can get What's So Bad About Feeling Good? out in late summer or early fall. Will probably get some extra copies for some friends because its been on my Holy Grail list.

This has nothing to do with films on Blue Ray or 4K, but I am looking forward to what La La Land Records has planned for 2021, and hope they can go through with them. Some Universal tv soundtracks, I hope.

Any ideas.

Jthree

not to sound negative, but i wouldn't personally hold out hope for Lost in Space 2, since Disney bought out Fox, and here is my reasoning, a know quantity, their Marvel line was on Netflix, and only a few of those got released, most of what airs on ABC doesn't get a physical release. Digital yes, physical maybe a DVD, Archer comes to mind, or AHS, I could be wrong, just seems a shame to release something that was probably done in 4k, and only release it in DVD, guess it's better than VHS, but hey i am ready if they decide to do that just need to knock the dust off of my still working player. :D

willyTass

Supporting Actor
A Passage to India 4k UHD

Ryan’s Daughter 4k UHD

The Hustler 4k UHD

From Here To Eternity 4k UHD

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance kid 4k UHD

The Sting 4k UHD

The Nuns Story Blu Ray

Splendour In The Grass Blu Ray

The VIP’s Blu Ray

The Night Of The Iguana Blu Ray...

All coming soon to a store near you

Ahahhahahahahahhahahaa

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm lowbrow so probably the one movie that I most want to see on Blu-ray is He Knows You're Alone. It's guaranteed to sell some copies since it's an 80's slasher movie, it's owned by a major studio (Warners) and it has a young Tom Hanks in it so it's kinda crazy that they haven't released it via Warner Archive or at least licensed it to Shout Factory yet.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Not intended to come off as snarky and I'm not the spelling police - but it is spelled Blu-ray not "Blue" ray in your title thread :)

UHD guesses - A Clockwork Orange and I can see some choice titles on Blu-ray that are celebrating an anniversary in 2021. Probably several key titles will also make their way to UHD. Arrow Video is doing more UHD releases, so I expect more in 2021. They are rumored to have The Last of the Mohicans(1992) and Dune. Warner, Universal and Sony will most likely be doing more UHD 'upgrade' releases next year. There will be a Columbia Classics UHD Collection II at some point featuring some key titles. Silverado is a title I've read/heard is UHD bound.

Blu-ray guesses, we will see some WAC Blu-rays from the pre-code era (Baby Face for example). Classic horrors - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with Fredric March has a shot since Warner is aware of its popularity, while The Mask of Fu Manchu and Dr. X could be released by them in 2021. The Bermuda Depths is rumored to be forthcoming as well. Maybe a Tarzan film or two from the 30s. ! I did read more Noirs are coming too ! This could be a banner year for WAC !

Scream Factory will also be back with new catalog titles in May, I anticipate more horror titles from Warner, Paramount, Sony along with a few Hammer and Samuel Z. Arkoff titles. They've been trying to get Alligator, maybe they will succeed - who knows

Kino has a new deal with Universal so I expect lots of titles on DVD from the Universal Vault Collection to receive Blu-ray releases. The majority of the titles Kino has are from the 30s and 40s so movies like The Accused, Secret of the Blue Room, etc have a chance. I am sure there will be some first time releases with them as well

Disney/Fox - who knows, maybe more re-released stuff under the Disney banner. It's too early to tell.

Paramount - more of what we saw in 2020 - 4K Blu-rays, UHD releases. I'll take a guess they will upgrade more John Wayne films (The Shootist) and other Westerns. Bad Company and Will Penny would be make sense to me. 48 Hours/ Another 48 Hours also seems possible for a second Eddie Murphy run.

Criterion - upgrades here and there, maybe a few more Warner titles such as Arsenic and Old Lace. Hopefully more Hitchcock titles (Young and Innocent, Spellbound). I'm sure there will be a box set or two of some director themed titles from around the world. Winchester 73 seems primed for a release from them. They are rumored to have The Lusty Men but rumors, especially on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt.

VCI - hopefully Rain, The Phantom Creeps and Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe are coming and they use an MPEG-4 encode!

DVD guesses - more re-releases from WAC, and several from Kino to go with their Blu-ray counterparts. Kino has some TV movies coming in 2021...

I cant wait until December 2021 to see how far off I was on my guesswork. :D

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
A Passage to India 4k UHD

Ryan’s Daughter 4k UHD

The Hustler 4k UHD

From Here To Eternity 4k UHD

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance kid 4k UHD

The Sting 4k UHD

The Nuns Story Blu Ray

Splendour In The Grass Blu Ray

The VIP’s Blu Ray

The Night Of The Iguana Blu Ray...

All coming soon to a store near you

Ahahhahahahahahhahahaa
I hope!!!!!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Disney will release Song Of The South in a deluxe two disc collectors edition.

Criterion will release a 4K restoration of Preminger's Porgy And Bess (1959).

The Paramount Presents line will release Looking For Mr. Goodbar after negotiating all the complicated music rights.

Shout Factory will release the Yvonne De Carlo collection, a box set featuring Song Of Scheherazade, The Desert Hawk and Calamity Jane And Sam Bass.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
WB Archive will give us Blu-rays of The Prince and the Showgirl, The Great Ziegfeld, David Copperfield, and will announce a restoration of Around the World in Eighty Days in 4K.
Universal will give us Blu-rays (or 4K's) of Flower Drum Song and Throughly Modern Millie
Fox/Disney will give us Star, and a 4K of a restored version of Cleopatra

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Here's ten titles I'd like that look very doable:

The Big Sky (1952) - I think I read that this was on the Criterion TV channel in HD
Scaramouche (1952) - Always on my lists.
She (1965)
In Harm's Way (1965)
Paint Your Wagon (1969)
Catch-22 (1970)
Start The Revolution Without Me (1970)
The Music Lovers (1971) - What's the hold-up? When it's finally released it had better be a tasty transfer.
The Ruling Class (1972)
Pennies From Heaven (1981).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks