What's new

Any Guesses on 2021 4K, Blue Ray, DVD releases? (1 Viewer)

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Really hope you are right about Napoleon — but the one Francis Ford Coppola wants to limit us to, or the complete multi-hour spectacle they have in other countries?
Robert Harris, Coppola, and the Cinémathèque Française are working on a "fully restored" version of the film that will include Carmine Coppola's score. The length should probably be similar to Brownlow's restoration, but not much detail has been provided since they made the announcement many years ago. Part of the restoration includes tinting, cleaning up of the negative, and fixing tears, wobble, etc.. Not sure if there will be large amounts of new material, but since this restoration is using the archives of the Cinematheque, it's possible we may have new material scattered here and there. I would also assume that a theatrical run, much like Coppola did in the 80's, would be considered along with a full-orchestra experience and then a release on Blu-ray (hopefully 4k) afterwards.

https://www.cinematheque.fr/article/662.html is an interesting place to start.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd think all the big studios must be in dire straights by now, all those expensive films awaiting release, & Disney with their parks closed & buying up Fox, must be up to their eyeballs in debt. And all this will go on a while longer (in the UK right now, things are worse than they were in April), even with a vaccine, it's going to be many months. I hope (& expect) that the UK boutique labels: Arrow, Eureka & Indicator will release some titles that I actually want, I didn't buy anything from them last year. And I would expect Paramount to release something that I could get excited about, Paramount Presents, cheapo Paramount & any titles that they license out. Anyway, some Paramount titles:

The Greatest Show On Earth
Li'l Abner
In Harm's Way
The President's Analyst
Paint Your Wagon
Catch-22
The Big Bus
Heaven Can Wait

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Criterion will finally give us
1.) 3D Flesh for Frankenstein
2.) 4K A Christmas Carol 1951 and The Ruling Class 1972
3.) 4K Whatever Happened to Baby Jane w bonus of Feud added
4.) Boxed Peplum set a la Godzilla with Hercules 1958 finally restored.
5.) Hansel and Gretel: An Opera Fantasy 1954

harync

Agent
Real Name
Harrison
I hope that Dances with Wolves (Both theatrical and extended versions) can be released in 4K.
The Abyss (both theatrical and extended versions) is in desperate need of any HD release. Can't believe the only release is a 4:3 letterboxed transfer.

I distinguish those wishes as distinct from something like "Song of the South" which we'll see when hell freezes over. Given that Br'er rabbit et al are being erased from Splash Mountain, the chances of seeing an official release has diminished even more.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Exactly.

We know that Warner Archive have just dumped Mr. Feltenstein, and that suggests they plan to reduce the effort, time and money they put into the Warner Archive project, at least for the time being.
when did this happen?
-jthree

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I'd think all the big studios must be in dire straights by now, all those expensive films awaiting release, & Disney with their parks closed & buying up Fox, must be up to their eyeballs in debt. And all this will go on a while longer (in the UK right now, things are worse than they were in April), even with a vaccine, it's going to be many months. I hope (& expect) that the UK boutique labels: Arrow, Eureka & Indicator will release some titles that I actually want, I didn't buy anything from them last year. And I would expect Paramount to release something that I could get excited about, Paramount Presents, cheapo Paramount & any titles that they license out. Anyway, some Paramount titles:

The Greatest Show On Earth
Li'l Abner
In Harm's Way
The President's Analyst
Paint Your Wagon
Catch-22
The Big Bus
Heaven Can Wait
deleted.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Robert Harris, Coppola, and the Cinémathèque Française are working on a "fully restored" version of the film that will include Carmine Coppola's score. The length should probably be similar to Brownlow's restoration, but not much detail has been provided since they made the announcement many years ago. Part of the restoration includes tinting, cleaning up of the negative, and fixing tears, wobble, etc.. Not sure if there will be large amounts of new material, but since this restoration is using the archives of the Cinematheque, it's possible we may have new material scattered here and there. I would also assume that a theatrical run, much like Coppola did in the 80's, would be considered along with a full-orchestra experience and then a release on Blu-ray (hopefully 4k) afterwards.

https://www.cinematheque.fr/article/662.html is an interesting place to start.
A fascinating article, but it did not talk of the Coppola connection and Coppola’s insistence to limit presentations in the U.S. to those with the Carmine Coppola score. Hopefully things have changed and with Mr. Harris’ involvement will not limit the extent of the restoration to be presented in the U.S.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Me again. Just been reading the Art of Star Trek: The Motion Picture by Jeff Bond. Beautiful Book, and I enjoy it. But I also feel disappointed slightly disappointed that it's lacking several of my favorite pre-production art pieces that have shown up in other magazines and books. I shouldn't be so critical, it's a phenomenal book and there was so much work that went into Star Trek I, that something had to be left out.

Anyway, reading this reminded me of this topic. Anybody, hear anything new? Thank you to everyone who contributed.

James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Have any of you tried writing to Criterion? Shout? Kino Lorber? Lately. Tried writing to several of them with some ideas.

--James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Any other rumors? Heard about the 4 Indiana Jones 4K films? Do you think Star Trek: The Motion Picture The Directors Edition 4K is still in the works. Anyway any other guesses for what might be in the works?

Jthree

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I read that FUNNY GIRL Is being restored and I would like to know when a single edition of Lawrence of Arabia is going to be released.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
This year will be Citizen Kane's 80th anniversary so who knows if there will be a new release on disc or just shown in selected theaters later this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks