What's new

any feasible way to mimic salamander synergy rack style? (1 Viewer)

Daniel TB

Grip
I'm interested in building a flexy rack, but after looking on this board, all the racks I see look like the salamander archetype system with threaded rods. Are there other options for the posts? I just don't like the look of threaded rods and would prefer the more "finished" look of, say, the salamander synergy posts. Is it possible to build something in that vein for reasonable cost? I'd love to build something along the lines of synergy 30 or 40, and have access to most if not all the tools I think I'd need. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
The Salamander Synergy system uses aluminum extrusion from a company called Bosch. If you can find a distributor near you they will have all the hardware necessary to put together a really nice rack system. Their phone number is 800-32-BOSCH and they might be able to tell you where a distributor is near you.

Daniel TB

Grip
Even better, Bosch has a website with specs on all their stuff -- www.boschframing.com -- they have aluminum extrusions that can be ordered online in custom sizes at an afforable price. i priced four three foot lengths at $42, although the accessories needed are extra. these frames look great and would seem to make for a far easier build than the whole threaded rod thing everyone here does. plus the shelves would be more easily adjustable and require no drilling. someboday please look at their site (you need to register and log in but no credit card info needed) and tell me if i am missing something here. why aren't scores of you using this instead of threaded rods?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Nice, high-tech looking stuff. I've seen lots of things built with it in the electronics manufacturing arena. I looked at the 30 x 30 group. 4ea 4-foot pieces would be $12.19 ea plus $3.25 cutting charge = $61.76 If you used 8 3-foot lengths of 30x302S for shelf supports, they would be $9.14 each plus $3.25 cutting charge each = $12.39 x 8 = $99.12. That's $160.88 plus connectors and shipping. Not nearly as inexpensive as threaded rod, but maybe something to pursue.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I have an S40 that I really like. The little shelf "pins" or whatever you call them are rather strange looking and require an Allen wrench to adjust. It's a little time consuming to set up but once it's done it's done. Haven't had to touch it for a year now. I didn't pay anywhere near the $800 retail price that HiFi Buys (Tweeter) charges with the sides, door, etc. so it wasn't too bad a deal. Not as cheap as what Hank worked up though!

Brian

Chris Zell

Stunt Coordinator
What size does synergy use? I would like to make a TV stand, but I want it to match my existing S40 cabinet. 30x30? 45x45? Gotta measure tonight. Couldn't find the dimensions on Salamander website.

Doesen't look like they offer colors, which could kill it for me - it'll be hard to spray paint them black to match and cover all the nooks.

How did you guys get the prices? I must be confused, because I get higher prices than yours. Probably looking at it wrong. I get:

30x30 = $10/meter, + $5 machining charge = $15/m (~$18/4ft). - but no threads on top/bottom, which seems bad to me. $72 for 4, 4-footers

30x30 = $10/meter + $12.50 machining = $22.50/m (~25/50/4ft) for threaded top and bottom - probably what ya gotta have to make it versatile. $102 for 4 4-footers

30x30 2S = same as 30x30 = $15/meter. $120 for 8 3-footers. Can you use these for shelves - it seems they gotta be threaded on the ends to attach? If not - gotta go to the regular 30x30 threaded for $22.50 a pop - ouch! Maybe just 2 of them for each shelf.

45x45 is even worse, but might match the Synergy ones.

I would much rather make one of these than a flexi for my system. Adding the cost for hardware, and where the heck am I gonna get nice cherry shelves 24" wide, plus finish them to match - this seems too expensive and painful an option for me? Might oughta buy a TV20 from Synergy for around $300-$350. Wouldn't cost that much more, and it'd look better. Too bad - I was pretty psyched when i first read this post. Dang.

Cheers,

Chris

Chad Anson

Second Unit
You could go with Cherry plywood and use solid strip for the edges. Locally, I can get a 4x8' sheet for ~ $80.

Mark Nied

Auditioning
I never really cared for the look of the flexy racks either. And when I ran out of room in my old TV stand I decided to try and copy the Synergy rack. After some research I found a company call 8020 who have exactly the same posts as the Synergy racks, and after a couple of calls I found a local distributor who set me up with what I needed. For the top and bottom I used ¾” Birch veneer MDF and laminated a piece of plane ¾”MDF, to give me a total thickness of 1 ½”, for the shelves I used ½” Birch veneer MDF. The sides are ¼” Birch veneer Plywood and slid into the grooves of the posts before the top was attached. The back is also ¼” Birch veneer Plywood but instead of putting it in the grooves, I made some t-bolts for the grooves then installed the back over the t-bolts and tighten down with wing nuts, so that I could have easy access to the back of my components. Over all I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. I built the rack about a year and half ago, and I was worried abut the rack holding the weight of my 36” TV and the components. After I set everything up it was super solid no worries at all. Total cost of the project was about $125.
Dcp_004.jpg

http://www.8020.net

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I forgot to mention earlier that you don't necessarily have to get your hardware from Bosch. Most fastener distribs have standard fastners for these extrusions that are less expensive.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
I'm thinking about making a DIY rack and would like to try to replicate the Synergy I already have (doesn't have to match perfectly as it will be in a different room). I'm wondering if any of you that were looking into the extruded aluminum tried it and how it worked out for you. Thanks.

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to do something similar, but I bought 2" diameter aluminum tubing from McMaster-Carr for 12 ft for $30, I think, if I remember. I'm just going to cut lengths to fit around the allthread, and use a hole saw to cut a 1/8" circle to seat the pipe at each shelve. I'm planning to just use some sandpaper to brush the aluminum.

I haven't done the project (the rack is up without the decorative posts and isn't painted yet) but I'm about to start some speaker stands, which should be similar, but with two 1" brushed tubes per stand. It should help me figure out how to connect everthing when I get around to the rack.

I just used 3/4" MDF for the rack, routed the edges for appearances, and am using a center pole support as well as the corners so my TV doesn't bow the center of the rack. It will also have the ball transfers on the bottom of it for easy moving when I'm done.

Wes

That is exactly what I did. The aluminum I got from a local dealer for 2.75 a ft. I then cut them to the lengths I needed, there are a total of 25 measuring between 5" and 11". The brushing was time consuming, I started with 120 grit then used 220 then a final light sanding with 000 steel wool. I then used a polish to get a nice even appearance and get the finger prints out. I used birch ply with the edges veneered. Brushing and cutting the aluminum was time consuming but worth it in the end.

Ted Drain

Agent
Mark: Can you post pictures of your setup?

What do people think the best way to attach the shelves is? Triangle brackets?

T bolts in the shelves?

extruded cross braces (this seems like a lot of $$$ and overkill)?

Not that it really matters to me. I'm in the final finishing stage of a 4 shelf flexy made from cherry plywood with marble inserts in the shelves to hold the components. Assuming everything goes according to plan, I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
I've been looking at a lot of options over the last day and think the easiest way to go for shelf support would be to either use angle brackets or fabricate a pin (defiantely the cheapest option) similar to what is used on the Synergy. I may email Salamander and see if I can just buy their pins, as unlikely as that may be. Using extruded beams for the shelves would be pricey and over kill, IMO. The one exception I'm thinking is that I'll put an extruded beam across the back just under the top for support for my tv.

Ted Drain

Agent
Section 6 of the 8020 catalog has a small 20mm square block that would work well for supporting shelves. It's called a "panel mount block". I can't find anything similar at the bosch site.

You have to supply a lot of info to get access to their catalog (8020's). No pricing either. Not exactly a very web friendly site.

Making your own shelf support block/bracket is probably the easiest (and cheapest).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks