What's new

Any fans of britcom Coupling? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It took 5 episodes for Oliver, Jeff's "replacement", to click for me. Season 4 was still pretty good overall, even though Jeff was missing for most of the season.

There is a Coupling Season 4 thread in place, but it's filled with spoilers from season 4.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I thought season four was, by far, the weakest of Coupling's seasons. Jeff was sorely missed. Oliver (aka Jeff lite) just didn't click for me.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I love this series. And even though I was a fan of "Jeff" I think that "Oliver" did a credible job as the new sixth wheel. Before viewing season 4 I thought that there might be a slight letdown but to me the show is still firing on all cylinders with the current cast and the relationships that are evolving.

The writing is very good and the pace of the show is what does it for me. You can view most of the episodes multiple times and still find something new to enjoy each time.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Both my wife and I are major fans of this series. The writing often has us laughing out loud.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I love the show. S4 stuck me as pretty good still though. I also had trouble with Oliver, but I warmed up on him. I felt that S4 was maybe a little too much on the serious side. Still funny, but without Jeff, you see another side to the characters.

I was looking for word about S5 and I found this. Steven Moffat apparently posted this on some Dr. Who forum.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I am sorry Richard Coyle left. I saw the "behind the scenes" where he expressed dismay at some of the things they made him do. But the fact that he pulled them off so well is a tribute to his ability.

But my favorite scene is still the dinner party where Jeff does his famous speech after trying to justify "Lesbian Spank Inferno". :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've bought/watched all three series to date. Loved the first two, wasn't real thrilled with S3.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I've seen / bought / watched all four series to date.

It took a while for Oliver to click for me, as well, in series 4.

Jeff's shoes were just so big to fill. There were so many favorite episodes with him--my favorites included the one with Isralie girl, the one where Jeff had one too many leg, and the one where he swallowed the key. The outtakes for the bondage mask were also funny.

I'm sorry the show is almost gone. It will be missed.

- Steve

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Yes, this is a great show, and I'd love more, but looks like a solitary Christmas Special is all that we'll get. The painful thing would be buying a single-disc of just the special on DVD, which although bound to be cheaper than the season sets so far, will still be relatively expensive for just 1.5-2 hrs of TV.

Hmmm, this is "annoying" -- I have the R2 versions, which came out first, but some don't have the extras that the R1 versions appear to have. Grrr...

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Season 4 was a let down and the last episode was terrible. Jeff as a woman and then that crappy finale after Steve see's his baby.
It was way to serious for what is supposed to be a comedy show.

It does seem to add fuel to the theory that a baby will kill a comdey show. In this case it's quite literal because apart from a Christmas special our last image of the gang is Steve going gaga over his baby.

(admin note - spoilers added - not everyone has seen season 4 yet)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

In my area, BBC America is only on one of the upper-tier digital cable packages, so most people don't have access to it (including me).

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Sorry it took so long to get back to the thread...

I'm glad others here enjoy the show. I need to find out when it ais on BBC America and also watch MI-5 as well.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Lee,

On A&E, they are substantially edited to make room for commercials. I watch them on DVD to avoid this.

I don't see them on the BBC America schedule. If they are broadcast unedited somewhere North America, I'm not aware of it.

Great show, what 24 should be.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, I'm fairly certain they were unedited on the BBC channel. I would be fairly sensitive to major edits. Still, I think DVDs are likely the best source.

I saw Season 4 of Coupling. While I miss Jeff Oliver is quite funny also. The writing remains superb and hilarious in my opinion.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I called a friend who is a BBCA nut and a Spooks fan. He says the show has only been shown on A&E here, not BBCA, much to his frustration.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I just got finished watching Series 4 on DVD. I can't believe the show is over. I'm so bummed. I thought it was one of the funniest sitcoms I've ever seen. I'm a huge Friends fan and it supplemented that show for me when it went off the air because I did think there were similarities between the two shows, Coupling was just a tad bit racier...which I loved!

I'm so sad now. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks