What's new

Any details for WWE Wrestlemania sets? (1 Viewer)

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator
why wouldnt jessee ventura commentary be in it? Thanks for the breakdown, by the way!

Chad

Nick=Ma

Stunt Coordinator

Because most of the time his commentary is edited out of the matches on various DVD sets (like the Greatest Superstars of the 80s, Andre the Giant: Larger than Life etc) because that way Vince doesn't have to pay him royalties. But luckly it looks like Vince will fork over the money.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The Jesse Ventura thing is based on a court case where Jesse won royalties from WWE on merchandise where he was featured and that included commentary. So when the E doesn't feel like paying they edit out his commentary, but I suspect that given that this is a whole show and not just 1 match that they will keep the commentary in, it would be too weird for you to listen to an entire wrestlemania and only hear the Gorilla.

It is my understanding also that the ruling only covers a certain time period in WWE but I'm not really sure. I just know that's why things have been missing in the pas,t but I think they'll probably just pay him and keep it in tact seeing as how you're dealing with entire shows.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Word is coming in that Ventura's commentary is edited out of the Warrior-Hogan match from Wresltemania VI on the Warrior DVD that streets Tuesday but is available in pretty much every Wal-Mart nationwide already.

At this point, I'm not going to risk the $151 preorder until people start getting their hands on the actual sets and we know for sure if Ventura's commentary is on there and if the music is untouched.

David Bixenspan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty confident about the commentary at this point. The music isn't a make or break for me, but I want it included. I'm really curious about how they're handling the WWF scratch logo. The blurring would be unwatchable on a full show...but do they have any other options other than taking a TON of time to digitally paint over the logo?

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I am the perfect WWE fan. I'll buy it because I don't know if they will release a better version. :) I can understand why they would not want to pay royalties to Jesse Ventura, and as long as it is a quality commentary with Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler, I would be quite fine with it.

This is VERY exciting news for fans. :)

How come Gord and crew do not post about wrestling or other sports? At least wrestling!!!! :D

Ryan

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Since the set is going to have the No Holds Barred trailer on WrestleMania V, hopefully whoever has the rights will get to work on the DVD of this movie. It's cheesy, but good cheesy.

Also, I'm hearing that the major retailers will have the box set at around $250, so DDD is an awesome deal!

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon

Thanks! A good deal indeed. I will wait for confirmation on Ventura's commentary before committing.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
i have the original 14 tape legacy set, and mine edits out the "no holds bared" trailer (but still keeps the ventura rant after it) and it cuts out the Piper's pit segemnt on V.
Question, why is saying "wwf" ok on some dvd releases, but not on others? Hint, the Mick FOley dvd (his final match against HHH at royal rumble), and the Shawn Michael's "from the vault" dvd, oth contain uses of the phrase "wwf" without being edited.

Nick=Ma

Stunt Coordinator

Some of the early DVD releases that came out after the WWE name change didn't censor when "WWF" was spoken, but someone must have notified the home video crew that it wasn't OK because then they started editing that out as well. Sometimes it slips by because on the Taker DVD they missed muting a couple of references.

TedT

Second Unit
Well as far as I can tell, the only problem with anything is that the scratch logos have to be blurred out. That's because the scratch logo resembles the World Wildlife Fund's logo too much.

They can say "WWF" all they want, as far as I know. It's just edited out to prevent confusion. Vince just wants his company to be known as the "WWE".

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'll get the first two sets... even though I would've preferred if they'd not gone past Wrestlemania 10.

Will the WWF logo in these matches be blurred out as well and will there be any other edits in the first 10 events or is it just an issue with the newer ones?

Thanks.

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon

For Wrestlemania 1-13, the WWF logo will not be scratched out.

As far as I can tell, you only need to worry about references to WWF being edited out (like on the Ric Flair DVD), original music being replaced due to licensing issues, and no Jesse Venture commentary.

alex_

Auditioning
For the really, REALLY hardcore WWE fan, wweshop.com has a special LEATER-EDITION VINCE MCMAHON SIGNED box set of the Wrestlemania Anthology. The box comes at the retail price of the original box set - $279.95. The original, unsigned box set is on sale for under $200, which is still higher than deepdiscountdvd.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
So it will be around $120-130... after the 20% off sale, I can dig it! :) I will be quite anxious, as November 1, 2005 is less than a month away!!!

Alex, thanks for the heads up on the alternative set, it sounds pretty neat, but too rich for my blood. Will it actually be a handsigned copy or something like a "Director's Approved" DVD were it is just added automatically?

Ryan

alex_

Auditioning
In regard to the Leather box set questions, the set is OFFICIALLY SIGNED by Vince McMahon and comes with a Certificate of Authenticity. The set is limited to 1,000 units, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks