Any details for WWE Wrestlemania sets?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by David Bixenspan, Aug 26, 2005.

1. David Bixenspan

David Bixenspan Stunt Coordinator

I know Gord & Dave don't cover the WWE releases on the main site, but I was wondering if anyone could get ahold of WWE Home Video to find out if:

1.Jesse Ventura's commentary is intact on WM1-6.
    2.They're the original closed circuit & PPV versions.
    3.The licensed music on the earlier & later WMs is intact or replaced.
    4.They've figured any alternative to blurring of the WWF scratch logo on WM 14-18. It could be quite annoying for 4 whole shows.

Of course, because they have to do it, we know that the letters "WWF" can't be heard or seen in regular text (the '84-'97 logo is fine).

Thanks!
    -David

2. DanC

DanC Stunt Coordinator

Here's the cover art courtesy of IGN:

Wrestlemania DVD Anthology

From Hulk and the Warrior to Savage and Steamboat, every Wrestlemania in one boxed set.
    by Jon Robinson

August 26, 2005 - You remember the moments like they were yesterday. King Kong Bundy squashing the midget. Hulk and Andre. Hulk and Warrior. Hulk and Rock. Rock and Austin. Not to mention the special guests like L.T. (what a man!), The Fridge, and Mike Tyson.

Well, on Tuesday, November 1, wrestling fans will be able to relive these classic moments when WWE releases the first-ever complete Wrestlemania DVD collection titled "Wrestlemania: The Complete Anthology". Beginning with Wrestlemania 1 in 1985 and working its way up to 2005, the set contains four individual, 5-disc digi-packs with each containing 5 years of Wrestlemania.

The set will include a DVD photo gallery, four collectible cards each featuring famous Wrestlemania moments, not to mention, this is the first time Wreslemania's 1-14 have ever been on DVD.

Wrestlemania: The Complete Anthology will retail for $279.95 and looks like a must-own for any hardcore WWE fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://sports.ign.com/articles/645/645726p1.html

3. Matthew Green

Matthew Green Stunt Coordinator

This is unacceptable....If this is going to cost SO much, where are the extras? I SURE hope it's not just the events themselves...I want interviews galore.

4. DanC

DanC Stunt Coordinator

Just what's listed is as far as I know. Being that these events are over 3 hours usually, I highly doubt we'll see any sort of substantial extras. The events themselves are good enough for me considering 1-14 have never been on DVD before. However, a bonus disc of extras would be nice.

BTW, those prices are MSRP. Deep Discount already has the entire set up for pre-order for $167 or each volume (5 WM's a peice) for $38. That works out to about $7.50 per WM...not too shabby if you ask me!

5. alex_

alex_ Auditioning

Just an update...each digipack WILL NOT have five Wrestlemania events a piece. Here is how the set breaks down:

Wrestlemania Set One (7 Discs):
    Wrestlemania 1
    Wrestlemania 2
    Wrestlemania 3
    Wrestlemania 4
    Wrestlemania 5

Wrestlemania Set Two (8 Discs):
    Wrestlemania 6
    Wrestlemania 7
    Wrestlemania 8
    Wrestlemania 9
    Wrestlemania 10
    Wrestlemania 11

Wrestlemania Set Three (8 Discs):
    Wrestlemania 12
    Wrestlemania 13
    Wrestlemania 14
    Wrestlemania 15
    Wrestlemania 16
    Wrestlemania 17

Wrestlemania Set Four (8 Discs):
    Wrestlemania 18
    Wrestlemania 19
    Wrestlemania 20
    Wrestlemania 21

All information was taken from highspots.com - no extras have yet to be released, but the reason for so many discs in some collections is because some of the Wrestlemanias have to be divided over two discs because of length.

6. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'm waiting to see if all the extras from the previously released editions are on these, as well as to see what has been cut on the older ones.

7. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Do they still have to blur out the WWF logo?

8. Jonny_L

Jonny_L Stunt Coordinator

I have a brother who's gonna pass out November 1st...hehehe [​IMG]

9. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Full specs for the box set can be found here.

That is from the WWE's UK distributor, and the UK releases are always identical to the US counterparts.

The only downside is that yes, any of the Wresltemanias where they used the "scratch" logo will have that logo blurred, and any verbal mention of the term "WWF" will be muted as usual. If they did otherwise, they'd be going right back to court with the World Wildlife Fund. It sucks, but it was Vince who broke the agreement that had been longstanding between the WWF and the World Wildlife Fund, so unfortunately the blame goes to Vince.

As for Ventura commentary, that's still the mystery. WWE's VOD service 24/7 has shown matches with Ventura commentary, yet a match on the recently released "Greatest Superstars of the 80s" set had Ventura's commentary edited out. I don't know if anybody will know for sure until the set is actually out.

In regards to licensed music, this one worries me, because on the recent Undertaker 3 disc set, if you watch his match from Wresltemania 17 on that set, they have edited out his entrance theme, the Limp Bizkit song "Rollin'", and replaced it with generic music.

Finally, on the price, Deep Discount DVD is selling it for like $152, and for 31 discs, that doesn't strike me as a bad deal. If anybody was sticking to the $299 list price, I'd cry foul, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

10. Jonny_L

Jonny_L Stunt Coordinator

11. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I have yet to open my Wrestlemania 21 3-disc'er, hoping that all the disc will remain but it seems doubtful. Although 8 discs for the final set gives me hope. In regards to the blurring, as long as it is not to prominant, I really would not mind it. I hear that if you buy the whole set you get some exclusive cards, etc. I figure go the whole way or do not buy any of them.

Ryan

12. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Thanks for the link, Nick, but it doesn't work (you have an extra "http" in there). Here's a working link.

A couple positives from that list regarding Ventura's commentary and edits to early WrestleManias. The content list for WMV includes:
    - Jesse "The Body" Ventura Addresses the Crowd
    - Piper's Pit with Brother Love, Morton Downey, Jr. and Rowdy Roddy Piper (which was cut from the Legacy VHS set released in the late 90s)

Also, from the page from which that list was linked:
    (Bold added by me)

13. Voon Jiet

Voon Jiet Stunt Coordinator

Voon
    Can anyone confirm if we can purchase just one digipack on its own? I am only really interested in WM1-5.

14. Nick=Ma

Nick=Ma Stunt Coordinator

Yes, Deep Discount has the digipacks for $37.78 each.

15. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I will probably wait until the Deepdiscountdvd.com 20 percent off sale and then pick up the big box set.

I can't wait for this, 31 discs is a lot of wrestling...I'll have to buy a new book just for Wrestlemania.

16. David Bixenspan

This cut was apparently accidental, according to WWEHV when I asked about it. Apparently later copies have it.

The Ventura part is good news, I didn't think of that when I looked at the listings. So right now it looks like the alterations will be:

1.Blurring on 14-18 (unless they decided to take the time to digitally paint over the old logos since these are the first full show releases that need the logo alteration, but I'm not banking on it).
    2.Music changes (unless they decided to be generous like w/ Legacy).

17. ChadKo

ChadKo Stunt Coordinator

OK somebody help me with this. Is it going to be (just under) $300 for EVERY Wrestlemania or JUST one through five. Are the digipacks severl events on one dvd? I dont know if I just read it too quickly or not but I am confused. I would get it for that price if its EVERY Wrestlemania

Chad

18. David Bixenspan

The WM Anthology box set is 21 WMs on 31 DVDs, and it retails for $279.95. Deep Discount DVD has it for $151.18

The digipaks are sets, each containing several DVDs, retailing for $69.95 each. Deep Discount DVD has them for $37.78 each.

The digipacks break down like this:

Digipak 1: Wrestlemania 1-5 (7 DVDs)
    Digipak 2: Wrestlemania 6-11 (8 DVDs)
    Digipak 3: Wrestlemania 12-17 (8 DVDs)
    Digipak 4: Wrestlemania 18-21 (8 DVDs)

19. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke

I have the Legacy VHS set which contains WM 1 through 15. I can confirm 100% that my copy has the Piper's Pit segment. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. lol

I however can't wait to get this set and retire those VHS tapes! I first need confirmation that each event is UNCUT. As I've stated in similar posts, the Legacy collection even contains merchandise ads, and of course the trailer for "No Holds Barred" on Wrestlemania 5. This set is no good to me without things like this. I want these to be complete.

I can understand the scratch logo being blurred. I won't hold that against this release, as it can't be helped. But I'm hoping the Jesse Ventura commentary will be intact, since he was an intricate part of the early Wrestlemanias. I'll definitely wait for some reviews before I spend my money.

I have to say though that the packaging looks sweet. That box would look amazing on my shelf. [​IMG]

20. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

According to the link I posted in post 12, WrestleMania 5 contains a "sneak preview of No Holds Barred," so it seems like thast trailer will be intact on the release.