What's new

Any Aimee Mann fans? New album out today! (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hi All,

I've loved her most recent work, Bachelor No.2 and the Magnolia soundtrack, and I can't get enough of her. I was surprised upon doing more research on her that she sang one of my fave songs back in High School, Voices Carry, when she was with Til Tuesday. Her new album comes out today and I will be rushing after work to pick it up since it's on sale at Best Buy. (at the counter I'll have Reservoir Dogs and Aimee Mann, wonder if I'll get a weird look from the cashier)

Just wondering if there are any Aimee fans out there, and if you've picked up the new album and what your thoughts are?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm also rushing to BestBuy right after work for the new Aimee Mann & Reservoir Dogs. I'm also throwing in "SchoolHouse Rocks".

I love going to stores and buying music & movies from multiples genres at opposite ends of the spectrum. It usually freaks people out.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the Aimee Mann CD during lunch.

You can hear all the songs on her website and I thought it was good enough to warrant purchasing the CD.

The packaging is pretty nice, and it came with a bonus CD containing 3 more tracks.

I'll give it a spin tonight when I get home.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm still in the air about her.

i'll be curious as to your reviews.

i have "i'm with stupid" (arguably one of most critically acclaimed albums) but it didn't grab me the way i thought it would.

np: coldplay "a rush of blood to the head"

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Hrm, I did enjoy bachelor and the magnilia stuff, I'll have to check her new work out, thanks for the heads up! :)

David Egan

Stunt Coordinator
HUGE Aimee fan! I knew there was something coming out but was suprised to see it at the store while I was looking at the new Stones releases. Stones will have to wait. Listened to six of eleven songs and it sounds nice. No great departure from Bachelor No. 2 but I loved that one.

As a fan of comic books and Seth's art I'm thrilled with the packaging. Any big record company would have interfered with both the art and Aimee's distinctive sound. She's my hero.

One beef; the credits are too tiny to read.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I have been a big Aimee Mann fan from back in the Til Tuesday days(have all three CD's). But Was not impressed with I'm with stupid so kindof lost interest. Looks like I need to take a close look again seeing how my likes have changed over the last couple of years.
I was unaware she had a web site! Aimee mann
She also sings back up on a track (Time Stands Still) on Rush "Hold Your Fire" album which I believe is the only Rush album that has used any back up singers that were not Rush members. I'm not too sure about "Roll The Bones" though, they went with some strange stuff on that disc.
Please post some reviews!
Wes

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I heard all the songs already (online) but got a better impression of disc tonight after giving it a spin on my system.

I have to say that it's a pretty solid CD.

As David stated, it's not a great departure from Bachelor No. 2, but still different enough to avoid being a rehash.

The tracks that impress me the most are:

1 - Humpty Dumpty
3 - Lost in Space
6 - Pavlov's Bell
8 - Invisible Ink (my favorite so far)

The packaging is quite nice with it's comic book motif. Nice to see some creativity in CD packaging.

Anyone else who purchased it get the bonus CD with 3 tracks on it?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I DL'd the mp3's to check it out and LOVE the album. Have to hit BB tomorrow and pick it up.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Love Aimee Mann! Pre-ordered her new CD through Amazon, so it won't be here for a few more days (waiting for the new Coldplay, too). :angry:
Whenever I'm depressed, I get out the Aimee Mann CDs and drink. It's great music to help you wallow in your self-pity! With some of her lyrics, I swear she's somehow invaded my head and stole my thoughts.
If you're interested in the 'Til Tuesday stuff, I definitely recommend you check out Everything's Different Now—their last CD. It's awesome. Really moved away from that synth sound. It's a lot closer to what you hear now.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
I got interested in Aimee Mann only because of Magnolia. I pre-ordered the new CD through AimeeMann.com. Kind of disappointed that I didn't receive it on release day since I thought I was going straight to the source. Oh well, I didn't bother listening to it online. I'm waiting for the real deal.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'll definitely give that last Til Tuesday a spin, Pamela, thanks for the recommendation.

I do like this album a lot, although No.2 is still my fave. I will give "I'm with Stupid" a try though: three albums and she hasn't disappointed me.

Oh, and "Things are getting weirder" is a great bonus track on that extra 3 song CD that came with the Best Buy version (not sure if this is only at BB or a limited amount of first-press releases or what).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I will say I kind of wish there was more Aimee Mann / Jon Brion collaboration on this album (of which there is none on the actual CD but Jon worked on the two bonus tracks on that extra CD).

I find myself becoming a huge Jon Brion fan the more I hear/see him. If you're in L.A. you have to go to The Largo on Fairfax on a Friday night (it's his regular gig) and see him in concert. Frickin' awesome!

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Carlo--Speaking of Jon Brion, if you have not already, try and get your hands on The Grays one and only release from 1994 "Ro Sham Bo". Outstanding stuff. It is currently out of print but you may be able to find a used copy online. The band also included the mega-talented Jason Falkner.

While you are at it you may want to check out Brendan Benson's "Lapalco", which is pretty much a collaboration with Falkner, and is one heck of an album IMO. And, of course, Falkner's two albums..."Presents Author Unknown" and "Can You Still Feel?".

You may already have these knowing something about your taste in music from some of your posts here.

Brion has never officially released a solo album has he? I know he produced an album by himself that may have been available through his web site or something, but has he ever released a solo album proper?

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Brion has never officially released a solo album has he? I know he produced an album by himself that may have been available through his web site or something, but has he ever released a solo album proper?
Link Removed
This album is available fromwww.jonbrion.com. Not sure what you mean by official, I can't find it at the store but it sure isn't a bootleg or anything. Seems proper to me.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yup, it's an official Brion album. Largo will only sell it on the nights he plays, and I haven't been in a while. I usually see Glen Phillips on Wednesdays when he plays. I'm going to make an effort to go to a Brion show in the next few months - it's getting hectic since UCLA football is starting up.

Brian, thanks for the recommendations! I am actually fairly new to this genre (last few years). Around 1994 I was fully immersed in the Seattle Sound as I was a junior in college at the time. I will look for those albums!

I have an idea. Perhaps when I know I'm going to a Brion show I can take a poll on how many people will want the album and buy the appropriate copies. I'll sell them to whoever wants at cost + shipping, sound fair? We'll do this all off-board so we don't potentially get anyone in trouble. No promises or timetable, though, as my schedule is hectic for the next 2-3 months...

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
I suppose "official" was not the best word to use. I guess what I mean is that the album was not really widely available...a self-released album. Which isn't to say, of course, that it is not a "proper" album!:)
I just may have to pick it up.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Jason Falkner is amazing. Have to agree on the Grey's album, too. You can find it on ebay on occasion.Don't forget Jellyfish! Their CDs are still in print, and feature Jason Falkner. Some good stuff.

I was really disappointed in Jon Brion's album. He had to distribute it on his own because his record company turned it down. I love seeing him at Largo. I think he's an incredible musician. But the album just didn't do anything for me.

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Pamela--You MUST get Brendan Benson's "Lapalco". If you like Falkner you just may go ga ga over Benson & Falkner together. Hot damn is it good!
And if you can find a reasonably priced copy of Benson's earlier release "One Mississippi" (now out of print) by all means grab it as well. I got a copy off Half.com for around $10, but I have seen it go on eBay for $20+.
And while I am at it I will put in a plug for the Candy Butchers new album "Play With Your Head"...Mike Viola's band. Another immensely talented musician/songwriter that is heard by a criminally low number of people.
Check out "Lapalco" here on Amazon.com and while you're at it click over to Candy Butchers. Read the reviews (inluding mine) and listen to some song clips. But if you like Jason Falkner I guarantee you can't go wrong with these as well.
You can thank me later.:)
Sorry...don't mean to divert this Aimee Mann thread onto other artists...but it is always good to discover new stuff, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks