What's new

Any acoustic advantage to "tinning" the ends of my speaker cable? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
No.
But it might come in handy to assure you're using all the strands and none of them shortcuts to the other wire.

(On some connectors it might also make it slightly less handy to bend it to the proper curve.)

Cees

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
What you might do is tin just the very tip of the wire, not the whole thing down to where the insulation is stripped back. This will eliminate the “strays” and still leave the flexibility, if you need it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Good tip, errrr...I mean good idea. Thx Wayne!

Does it matter what type of solder I use?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Use solder intended for electrical/electronic work, typically 60 tin 40 lead rosin core.

Do not use acid core solder or soldering paste. Solid solder may work also but it is more difficult to work with because without flux (rosin) it won't tin the wire as readily, and lower tin mixtures and non-lead mixtures require a higher temperature soldering iron.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

When soldering transistors, IC's, and other semiconductors, get the lowest melting point solder you can, even if it contains lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks