Any 3rd party PS2 controllers out there any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Mansure, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

I usually don't even tempt fate when purchasing new controllers and stick with Sony stuff but I would like to at least read some reviews and hear opinions on 3rd party controllers before purchasing this time. Not that I wouldn't pick up another DualShock 2 just wanted to explore some options.

IGN gave it's thumbs up to Nyko's Viper 2 controller which is actually Sony Licensed and then ofcourse you have the MadCatz stuff.
    Are there other controllers worth taking a look at?
    I would like to directly replace my second DualShock 2 controller and require at least the same functionality.
    I'd rather not spend any more than I would purchasing a new Sony DualShock 2.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i have the interact stormchaser pad. its okay, a little cheaper, and a little cheaper made than the sony ones. the shock mode is a bit noisy at times, and the controller is a little bigger. personally i would have spent the money on a sony one if i could do it over, but its not a "bad" controller.

3. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I've got the Madcatz wireless ones. Not bad - good size (I'm used to my Xbox controller, so I actually like the little more size on this controller) but it's wireless functionality is a little weak - I have to basically keep it pointed at my PS2 that's off to the side.

Not too bad, but not the best.

4. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Thanks for the replies.
    Actually I ended up getting the Viper 2 controller made by Nyko.
    It is offically licensed by Sony and costed only $14.99 at my local Gamestop. I asked the guy behind the counter and he assured me that if it doesn't work as described then I can bring it back and trade up to a Sony DualShock 2 for just the price difference.
    I played Hot Shots Golf 3 last night with the Viper 2 and right away I liked it's size which is a little bigger than the Sony DS2 and it "felt" like a quality controller as it's also a touch heavier than the Sony DS2.
    The D-pad resonded a little slower than what I'd like but works fine, the start/select buttons are re-located close together and in between the analog sticks which is kinda annoying but again functional.
    I'll have to play a few more games, especially NFL 2K3 to really test the controller out.
    [​IMG]
    On a scale 1-10, I give it an 8 so far.
    Brian