What's new

Antiquated CD Changer + Sound Quality Questions (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
OK, this is going to be the dumbest question ever, so bear with me. I have a ten year old Yamaha CD changer (CDP-91) that is still alive and kicking and gets some use around the house once in a while. It obviously lacks any type of digital output, neither toslink or coax. The sound quality of this unit is not even comparable to my new Sony-SCD555ES SACD player. However, I am about to get a new pre-amp (Anthem AVM-20) that has the latest DAC's on the market. I've heard this unit fed a digital signal from a transport and it sounds phenomenal. One of the features of the processor is that you can feed it an analog signal, have the processor redigitize (for bass management features I suppose amongst other things) and then back to analog and onto the speakers. My question is this. Will my Yamaha sound unquestionably better using the Analog-DSP connection rather than pure analog bypass because it then gets redigitized by the better DACS in the processor or is the fact that the signal sent in a poorer analog form from my CD player the limiting factor in how good the music can sound. Maybe I'm not making my point clearly but I guess I'm asking that can my Yamaha be salvaged in this manner or is my sound quality always going to be lacking regardless of what mode I put the processor in?

PaulKH

Second Unit
"...or is the fact that the signal sent in a poorer analog form from my CD player the limiting factor in how good the music can sound."
Generally, yes. But sophisticated EQ in newer receivers and pre-pros can make the sound better.
And Dolby Pro Logic II makes any 2 channel sound amazing :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan, generally speaking, routing analog signals through A/D and D/A converters is undesirable, as degradation can result. Of course, this assumes that the player in question has a good DAC, meaning that the player's DAC yields good sound in the first place. This, of course, is why many A/V pre-amps and receivers have an analog bypass mode. That said, given that your Yamaha player is older and probably lacking soundwise as is, it probably would be worth trying it through the Anthem's DSP section. You could try the it with and without the Anthem's DSP section. Still, I doubt the Yamaha will beat the 'C555ES using the analog or digital outputs.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Keith, OH GOD NO!!! You are missing the point of the exercise. See, the Anthem is set up for multizone operation. What I am trying to see is for the rare occasion that I'm having a party and want to use the Sony for the main room, but the Yamaha to play different music in another room. I'm wondering if by using the DSP section of the Anthem if the sound will be at least decent. Maybe it's time to just get a $200 transport to handle these duties and retire the Yamaha?:frowning:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan, I am not talking about comparing the Yamaha to the 'C555ES. Could you not try the Yamaha with and without using the Anthem's DSP? In other words, couldn't you engage an analog bypass mode on the Anthem and then try the Yamaha without analog bypass? If you are looking for an inexpensive player to use as a transport, you have several options. Note that the price of the Sony SCD-CE775 dropped recently to $250. Also consider the Denon DCM-370, Sony CDP-CA70ES, and Marantz CC4000 for around $250.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Keith. Seeing as I don't have the Anthem yet, I cannot try this exercise just yet, but trust me I will. If I don't like the results I will surely follow your recommendations on the transports as it was your recommendation on the 555 that I used back in December and have been eternally grateful hence.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks