What's new

Anti-virus for office environment? (1 Viewer)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
The time has come for me to upgrade the anti-virus software package for our office equipped with one Windows 2000 server, nine Windows XP workstations and one Windows 2000 workstation. Before I upgrade what we already have, I'd like to have some feedback on what's available out there.

Please note that we don't require an anti-virus package that contains a bunch of bells & whistles. We simply want something functional. In the fourteen years I've been working for this company, we've never been infected by a virus, we've intercepted two viruses in e-mails before they had a chance to propagate, and I had to clean out only one computer from one of those annoying "Search Buddy" type spyware packages. I also perform a Windows Update on every computer about once a month.

So who's good out there?

AjayM

Screenwriter
I've been using Norton Coporate edition for the past couple of years and I've been really happy with it. It's a true client server package, where your "server" can be the anchor point for all your workstations, it will download updates and push them out to desktops (I have it set to search for updates 4 times a day), it can act as a central quarantine server, etc. You can push all the clients out from that server as well after configuring them exactly how you want (I have different versions for desktops and laptops), setup workstations for scans, etc, it has some VERY nice management features.

Past that I had an older McAfee solution and it wasn't nearly as nice to use, but keep in mind that was a much older version and I'm sure has improved since.

I hear Trend Micro is nice as well, but I downloaded an Eval for home use and I wasn't impressed with it, but that was more from a use standpoint than protection.

Andrew

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Norton Corporate and Trend OfficeScan products are both pretty decent for a management point of view and for a cost point of view. Avoid McAfee's interoffice solution, which has terrible management capability and deployment still sucks ;(

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Check into Kaspersky, who in my opion makes THE best of ALL AV products (hourly updates, best unpackers, etc)
That being said, I use Panda Enterprise version on about 50 workstations and 6 servers.
Pretty decent. I will look to the KAV enterprise when my deal with Panda is up. I use KAV exclusively on all of my prsonal PC's/Servers.
Not a fan of Mcafee or NAV @ all on any level-Retail or Enterprise.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Another vote for Corporate Norton AV. I have deployed it at several sites (including my house) and it is a soild product.

Jeff

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Count me as a McAfee believer. VirusScan Enterprise 8 is used by my employer, and I plan to upgrade to VirusScan 9 shortly (a VS user since version 6).

KyleS

Screenwriter
The main reason that we use and support Norton AV here at our fortune 500 company is for the support we receive from Norton.

Case in point we ran into a Donk Variant Virus that had not been discovered yet (Oh the joys!) and Symantec was able to get us a cleaning tool to fix the issue within 24 hours. We had minimal impact on our floor and out of 16 facilities only 2 went down due to network traffic created by the Virus. If we were stuck with a company without the resources to get us a fix quickly we could have lost millions of dollars.

KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks