Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark,
Magic was announced 3 years ago by some
small-time studio. It was even offered at an
incredibly low price for its time.
Problem is, the title never came out. First it
was delayed, and then it remained in a COMING SOON
status for a full year, only suddenly to vanish.
It's a shame -- I love this flick!

Ron,

This truly is a shame!

I consider this one of Hopkins's best performances with a creepy and riveting story and Ann Margret is always wonderful eye candy. I wish more people had an interest in this so that a studio might release it to DVD. Is there anything interested persons can do to facilitate this? Some studio we should contact?

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
This one has Anchor Bay written all over it. They would do a terrific job with it. I agree, Mark: this does have one of Hopkins' best performances, and was in fact the first movie of his that made me sit up and take notice as to "who IS this guy??". I think he did his own ventriloquism, too.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Not only does Hopkins turn in one of his first great performances, there's the bonus of nekkid Ann-Margret! Mmmm. :b

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
UAV released it on VHS and announced it for DVD but as Ron said, the DVD never came out. The story I heard was that UAV thought the film was in public domain, but they had to cease production due to uncertainity over whether it really is. Anyway, they discontinued the VHS.
The film was part of the Nelson library which MGM now owns the bulk of (although a few such as Hopscotch, Night Porter, The Last Emperor and Contempt have slipped out under other labels). My guess is that if MGM did indeed still own it they would've cross-promoted it with Hannibal a year ago. The rights on this film are truly a mystery!
Jeff

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
:frowning:
I want this! Amazing Hopkins performance in a great film. The way they filmed Fats was just ingenious. Love the Goldman novel as well.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I suspect this is one of the StudioCanal (Embassy) titles that, as MGM did not exercise an option on, Anchor Bay or Criterion would get first dibs. So let's focus our energy there.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think everyone should be happy that UAV cancelled the DVD release.

I got a copy of the VHS they released of MAGIC and, for some reason, it was an edited TV print of it. I watched the first ten minutes and wondered why all the language was dubbed over. Then, I fast forwarded to the end and noticed that it was ten minutes shorter than it was supposed to be.

A lot of the budget, public domain type companies release TV prints. The VHS of THE HARRAD EXPERIMENT is a TV print as well. I think the DVD must be the same since they are put out by the same company and have the same artwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks