What's new

Anthem (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
On one hand the visuals are so astounding I honestly can't wait. On the other hand...it's EA...if ever a major publisher could find a way to screw something up...it's EA!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, this game just looks so generic to me. It has great graphics but the art style is just so blah-future-space-marine looking. Given that this really looks like something that any studio besides Bioware could have produced, I don't understand what makes it seem so special to the people that are excited about it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Destiny and The Division are being pointed to as similar games, in terms of what they promised versus delivered on release, and both were able to recoup themselves and be supported by the fans enough to get sequels. I fully expect Bioware and EA can salvage this.

But the fact that Anthem had so much hype at it's reveal and that Bioware codenamed it "Dylan" because they wanted it to be a standard that was ahead of its time for games, in the same way they saw Bob Dylan for music, its just kind of shocking how...not great it is. Even if the game does eventually pull it together (in a way that, honestly, even Fallout 76 probably won't), it's still going to be seen as a huge late-gen failure.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is this a pay-to-play game? If it is, it is amazing how many of these games are coming only to have them labeled as "not ready for prime time".

In Canada, new releases are 80 bucks before taxes. At that price a person expects the game to be finished. You don't expect to pay to be a Beta tester.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Anthem is a single-purchase game ($60 US) but you need PS+ or XBL to play on consoles (just an internet connection for PC).

I believe it has some microtransactions but there's no content locked behind paywalls.

I think the game is finished, it's just not very good.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
True, but how many big releases (that aren't primarily MMO-ish) are fundamentally bad or broken upon release? There's a difference between fixing bugs or adding features versus having to fix the core game structure.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Have you guys read the threads from people where Anthem bricked their PS4? I didn't even know that was possible, that some running software could do something at such a low level that it would prevent your power supply from turning on properly again (after the crash). Or something like that. Seems bad hardware design, and really bad software design. I am curious as to exactly how this could be done, but I also understand why the people involved (Sony, game studio) might not want to say exactly how.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, and apparently no one has any idea why, including EA.

My guess (and it's completely that, a guess) is if it's forcing a console shutdown, it has something to do with perhaps being so overly taxing on the CPU/GPU that it's causing a quick overheat and making the PS4 do a thermal shutdown out of safety. I don't own a PS4 so I haven't seen this phenomenon, and I have no idea how quickly Anthem shuts down a PS4, if it's within seconds of loading the game, or if it happens under a heavy graphics load.

I hadn't read that it prevented the power supply from turning it back on, if it does, that's even worse.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I hadn't read that it prevented the power supply from turning it back on, if it does, that's even worse.
That may just be my interpretation of what some said...like you said, immediate PS shutdown when they try to re-start the PS4. Some people may have had panicky descriptions of what happened...

Still, what business does a game have changing something system-wise that you can't cold-start out of? None, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks