What's new

Anthem AVM20 or B&K Ref 50 (1 Viewer)

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I stand corrected.
Assembled in The USA with American labor!
A large percentage of the ic's in the Ref 30 are US
manufactured, these ic's equal a small percentage of overall cost of the product.
Many Americans put to work producing other components such as the face-face plate, metal cabinet, Packaging-boxes,and so on.
I do purchase a huge amount of foreign products,
More then I would like to admit, But to help turn this economy around, all Americans need to make some effort, at a minimum at least think about buying USA.

I agreed earlier in a post that You can't go wrong with either.
My reply was more directed to that negative B&K support post. (most that need support would like to speak to someone and not wait for an email reply)
How many other Manufactures of

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Matt,
My auditioning was performed at 2 different A/V shops so a true side by side comparison was not possible.

If it helps the B&K (REF30)was hooked up to a pair of B&W CDM9T speakers and the source was a Sony ES SACD player.

The Anthem was hooked up to a pair of McIntosh LS340 speakers (VERY NICE!) and a McIntosh MVP841 CD player.

To be honest I have no idea what interconnects were used, or if it really matters that much. (I know that some will disagree). Both stores are considered "High End" so I'm sure they were using something rather overpriced.

I do know that both were using bulk monster cable for the speakers.

The Anthem dealer will let me take home anything in the store (Floor Demo units) to play with for the weekend. The B&K dealer said I had to buy it, try it and return it if I did not like it. Not really a problem, but kind of inconvenient.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
If it helps the B&K (REF30)was hooked up to a pair of B&W CDM9T speakers and the source was a Sony ES SACD player.
Not to knock the cdm9nts but a lot of people including myself have thought these speakers are a bright/harsh maybe thats why you thought the ref 30 was harsh? Personally I thought the ref 30 to be on the smooth side but that was hooked up to sonus faber grand pianos:emoji_thumbsup:
Bob

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
I autioned the Ref 30 and the AVM20. The Ref 30 sound is warm, smooth and fluid. The AVM20 is more analytical, transparent and neutral. You will be happy with either one, just depends what you are looking (listening) for.

The AVM20 has a few extra features, But also a very busy face, With the B&K
Yeah this is true, but I thought the Ref 30's front panel controls were useless, it may not be and issue with the 50. The AVM20 has many seldom mentioned features that I appretiate. For example, after playing a DVD in 5.1 surround, the processor switches to stereo when you replace the DVD with a CD. Most receivers and processors will remain in surround mode and apply Prologic to stereo track until you manually switch to stereo.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"I autioned the Ref 30 and the AVM20. The Ref 30 sound is warm, smooth and fluid. The AVM20 is more analytical, transparent and neutral."
I auditioned both in my system as well, but my results were a bit different. The Ref30 was warm, maybe a bit flat with a reasonable amount of detailed sound. The AVM-20 was very musical, transparent and quite detailed, although in our system the detail is not analytical as described by Ron.
"You will be happy with either one, just depends what you are looking (listening) for."
Agreed. It could come down to how your system sounds with them.
"Personally I thought the ref 30 to be on the smooth side but that was hooked up to sonus faber grand pianos"
There is something to be said for system synergy. :)
Michael

Chip E

Screenwriter
Excellent point Michael. I run PSB Stratus Silveri 's, C6i center, Image 10S sides & temporarily, B&W 303's for rear's. I've run B&K & Denon flagship receiver's with this setup. The differences are apparent. Both worked well. I prefer the B&K warm, liquid sound.
I'm betting the Ref50-Ref 200.5 combo will sound sweet and be cohesive. I plan to add two of the new B&K Reference monoblocks to my main's in a couple months. After using receiver's forever, going seperates is the most exciting change i've made to my rig probably since adding an SVS sub 1 1/2 years ago. :emoji_thumbsup:

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Frank, thanks for the info....was refering to interconnects only in the context of if the demos were conducted with same amps and speakers, considering that the amps, speakers, placve , and time of audition of the 2 pre-amps were so differant the comparison, unfortunately means little to me...thanks for the info anyway...I am a B&K dealer (coincidentally running Mirage speakers also), BUT WILL CONSIDER other pre-amps as mnfgrs reps will gladly give me decent deals on whatever I want 'cause it may provide inroads to our buyers.......as for the negative comments that sometimes are present when B&K posts go up , I always get the intonation that most of the problems lie with peoples dissatisfaction at the time it takes for B&K to release upgrades...While I don't think there is a downside to having the latest/greatest gee-gaw of the month the day after it's released, I don't rank the neccesity to upgrade every 3 months the determining factor in my choice of equipment...I will already state though, before someone else does ,that it has been a long wait for DPLII, thanks in some part to motorola)...the upside ,however has been the ease of installation of little software glitch fixes and revisions (up to 2.08 now) that have solved the minor annoyances along the way....I also have a friend who has a DD/DTS PRE-AMP thatbegan it's life as a pro-logic piece, not to shabby.......I also like the way they have been (like some others) making their amp line make sense by offering 1,2,3,5, & 7 channel versions with the same power ratings...My technical experiances via their 800 # have all been stellar...moral is don't e-mail 'em, call 'em.....

Yogi

Screenwriter
A large percentage of the ic's in the Ref 30 are US
The torroid (Plitron) and Caps are also US made. The MOSFETS are Japanese made. The Power supply being the most expensive part means that the majority components are made in USA and assembled in USA. Couldn't go wrong with that...but wait I am talking about the B&K amplifiers...time for some coffee.

Also I have never heard any B&K gear with any speakers that sounded harsh. It always sounds smooth and warm even with Klipsch. I have not heard the AVM 20 but I am sure you cant go wrong with either.

Robert M

Agent
Yogi:

Actually Plytron is a Canadian company located in the North end of Toronto. They have been manufacturing torroidal transformers for the audio industry for years and years. B&K for at least 15 years. Others include Bryston, Claase, and Odyssey to name a few.

Bob

Bob

Yogi

Screenwriter
Thanks Robert, I always thought Plitron was American. So what they are still from our cousins across the border right:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks