What's new

Anthem AVM20 or B&K Ref 50 (1 Viewer)

DanielK

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Looking for a recommendation. As a newbie to the separates world, I'm trying to find an easy to use preamp in the price range of the anthem or B&K. Living in an area without ready access to listen to them, I was hoping for recommendations from those who have experience with the anthem or B&K line. Intentions are 75/25 home theater/music.

Thanks

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I have auditioned both and although there is nothing wrong with the B&K I preferred the Anthem. I felt this combo had a slightly warmer sound, the B&K seemed a little harsh to me. For this kind of investment though I'd make a road trip to audition both!

I'm saving up for the AVM-20 and a PVA-7.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I ordered a Ref50 based on my owning a B&K 307 receiver for about a year. I don't have any Anthem dealers near me or any experience with them but, many around here do. Many love the AVM20. The B&K lists for $2998.00 and i believe the Anthem lists for $3499.00. I seriously doubt you could go wrong with either one. Both are THX Ultra 2 certified. The B&K has fully balanced in's & out's (don't know about the Anthem). If you could listen to both first, that'd be what i'd do.. The B&K will be at dealerships on the 15th of October. The AVM20 is readily available now i believe.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Yea Frank,
i'm curious how you already auditioned the Ref50 as well. Hmmmm?
That's the first time i've ever heard anyone describe B&K gear as "harsh". I say it's warm & smooooooooooth. :emoji_thumbsup:

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Tony,
I didn't say that I listened to the Ref50. I listened to the Ref30, that's all they had at the time.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
You guys out for blood or something...Read the question again and tell me where it says REF50?!? Unless I'm blind, the question was Anthem vs. B&K...period!

Looking for a recommendation. As a newbie to the separates world, I'm trying to find an easy to use preamp in the price range of the anthem or B&K.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Frank,

ease up babe. Re read the header. He's specific. No big deal, it's early, i know... hahaha.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Frank, please describe the conditions of your comparison...
same amp? which amp(S)?same speakers?which speakers?same source? what source? same interconnects?which interconnects?
etc.....I don't want to badger you with questions, I'm just curious....

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I auditioned the Ref50:D
And it's very warm like the Ref30.
The amp used was the new B&K Ref 200.7
I would say it may be just a tad smoother.
This may have been the Martin Logan speakers used,
Amp, Demo room, Non the less it was good.
As to which one to purchase?
The AVM20 has a few extra features, But also a very busy
face, With the B&K to ship very soon (waiting for the THX Ultra II certification) You may want to call a few B&K dealers, You may find that you could purchase the Ref 50 for around -$1k or more off the list of the AVM20!
The ref 50 comes with the HTM MX-700 remote.
This remote has an RF option now in the works.
BTW: I auditioned the Ref50 at cedia.
You can't go wrong with either.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Jerry,
Do you think my Ref50 will ship with the RF option on the included MX-700 ?
I did even better than that. ;)

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Chip,
No the RF option will not ship with the Ref50,
It's in the beta's hands at this time.
This will be sold by HTM, and maybe B&K will add
it into production at a later time, But not likely.
B&K has a TON of new Ref50's boxed and ready to ship NOW.
To late to add things to these at this time.
I did even better than that
Like I said, CALL a FEW B&K Dealers,
You just maybe surprised at the offering price of the first orders, Do it fast as time for this is running very short.
B&K has NO Ref30's to ship to dealers, So they felt to make things right with these dealers, You may find one dealer that really would like you as a customer ;)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I have the AVM-20 and it's a great pre/pro. However, if I were buying now I'd opt for the Ref 50 just for the phenomenal savings available. Anthem dealers just don't budge on price nearly as much as B&K dealers. I know I could get a Ref 50 for $1000 less than I paid for the AVM-20.

The AVM-20 is very good, but I don't think it's anywhere near $1000 better than the Ref 50.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Had a ref20, paid big to get to ref30 because B&K was way to slow, sold ref30 for Anthem AVM-20. I would Never go back. I LOVE the support Sonic Frontiers has given me. B&K did not even come close. I have seen at least 3 or 4 Ref30 owners selling their ref30's so they can get the upgrade now. B&K will not have the upgrade out for some time (judging by their history in this area).

Anthem was a few months late with the upgrade, but they came through and actually communicated with you if you asked them where it was. Yes they do answer emails...B&K does not.

If sound were equal, I would spend the extra $$$ for the options and take the support. Its about 500 - 600 difference in price. But IMO the sound is not equal. Then Anthem was just better, especially in HT.

Chip E

Screenwriter
You can call B&K's technical support all day long, every day of the week and speak to George or Jerry. These guy's are like the maytag man.. been there forever. Your right about email though. I just call the 800#.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I LOVE Products MADE IN THE USA!:emoji_thumbsup:
I will even wait to purchase them!:D
Not to say that I don't love my Mirage Speakers. :b

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Camp:
I'm willing to bet most of its internals come from overseas. "Made in the USA" means "Assembled in the USA" more often than not.
Your point is well taken and without seeing the internals in the box, I am assured you'd win the bet.
I had the same discussion about auto's the other day. I own a Honda and a sales rep gave me the rice burner mentality. Yeah right, assembled in Ohio. :) I didn't even attempt to change his mind. It was a waste of time and energy.
My thinking is that both of these products would be a fine addition to your system. My suggestions would be demo them both, look at price versus performance/functions/sonics and then decide what is best for you. You can't go wrong with either one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks