What's new

Anthem AVM2?? (1 Viewer)

BillSuneson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I'm in the process of upgrading my system into separates.
Right now I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to sell my Onkyo TX-NR 900 AVR. Considering putting it into bedroom.

Does anyone have any experience with the AVM2?
Good/Bad?
Should I spend the money on a different Proc?
Only have room for 5.1 at the moment.
Will be used with Polk LSi speaker system and Looking at either Parasound amp or Anthem MCA-5.

Will be used mostly for HT and a little music.

Thanks,

Bill

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
The AVM2 is an older model (v1.0 -1.5). The DSP board is Pro Logic only. A hardware upgrade was offered to upgrade it to an AVM20, which also upgraded to software version 2.0. It added Pro Logic II, THX Ultra, and a bunch of other processing functions (see their website for more info). The latest software update is v2.20, which adds PLIIx.

There are not many AVM2s around anymore. Many were upgraded to an AVM20. The AVM30 is the current model that Anthem sells, which is basically the same thing, only with a few more inputs in back.

Since Anthem is so good about updating their older products, someone who bought an AVM2 could still be up to the latest technology (the hardware upgrade cost about $400, all other software updates are free). There is even talks about Anthem offering another hardware update to add HDMI upconversion and switching to match the new Statement D2.

I have an AVM20 (v2.20). It is a solid processor that offers a ton of features. Most importantly is the 4 seperate paths. I use all 4 paths, which is why I bought the Anthem. But the Anthem has a slightly higer noise level than other Pre/pros in the price range (especaillly in the other zones). Mind you that the Anthem is still great (and much better than anything else I have ever had), but if you do not need all the zones of the Anthem, you might be better off with another processor. Yet the upgradeability of the Anthem (and that Anthem actually upgrades its products all the way back to the AVM20) still makes it a good choice.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Bill - I don't have personal experience with the AVM2, but am looking at getting an AVM20 or 30 for my own upgrade. Note that the AVM2 is past the end of it's life cycle and does not have the 'newer' surround modes DPLII, etc. The AVM20v2.x and newer AVM30 are still upgradeable.

Here is a comparison of the AVM2 vs the AVM20v1.x and v2.x
http://www.anthemav.com/NewSitev2.0/...art/Page1.html

If you can live without the surround modes and less inputs and outputs, the AVM2 can be found on audiogon for a good price.

Sonic Frontiers/Anthem products have been known for their quailty and long lifespan, both hardware and software wise.

Duh - Brian beat me to it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks