What's new

Anthem AVM-20 and 6 Channel S/E Input (1 Viewer)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
A question on 6 channel SACD connections via Anthem's VM-20's inputs.

I own a Sony 555 ES and it's connected via the 6 channel inputs on the Anthem. That 6 channel connection is accessed using Anlg/DSP selection, but there is something that is confusing me.

Whenever I play a multi-channel disc, it will only play in 6 channel mode. I try to apply some of the sound fields to the playback from the Anthem in 6 channel, but I am NOT able to access them using the Anlg-DSP audio in.

The readout on the Anthem always displays 6 channel mode. NO DSP field can be applied such as Prologic 2, etc. However, I can access bass and treble functions in the 6-Channel mode.

I've tried Redbook CD's Hybrids, and straight single layer SACD's and it still does not allow any DSP processing sound field change from the Anthem even with the Anlg/DSP processing selected in 6-channel mode.

I've setup the 555ES in various ways using different configurations in the set up menu. Still no DSP processing changing sound fields can be accessed via the 6 channel inputs. I am confused as it might something simple. Perhaps I am overlooking something?

Using the connections of the 555ES via the stereo jacks to the Anthem's CD inputs, all functions of DSP processing can be accessed via the Audio In format of Anlg-DSP. All sound field selections are available.

The question is in essence, can DSP processing with different sound fields be applied in 6 channel mode on the Anthem?

Thanks,
Charles

Mark Dubeau

Stunt Coordinator
I don't believe those sound fields were meant for the 6-ch inputs. What Analog-DSP buys you is bass/treble and the bass management features.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I believe Mark is right. When the AVM-20 was designed, SACD was just formulating. The "proper" way to listen to these formats was totally analog direct, but we all know that caused bass management issues. The Anthem was designed to address those bass management issues, but I don't think any thought was given to applying surround sound formats to the signal as most SACD listeners feel the natural multichannel mix presented on the disk would be appropriate, surround sound formats unnecessary. Kinda like watching a movie in non-OAR I guess would be the best analogy.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
The difference being with 6 channel you have exactly that, 6 discreet channels. Whereas with a two channel or stereo source the DSP processing steers some of the sound to the other speakers. With 6 channel inputs no steering is required or desired.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Mark, Evan and Wayne,

Thank you all for the information. I suspected that this might be the case, but it seemed like a good question to ask as I was not 100% confident with my thoughs.

The more I use this piece, I find there is still more to learn and appreciate.

Thanks again,
Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks