What's new

Another Which Receiver Question (1 Viewer)

John_P

Agent
Hi All,

I am putting together a system for a friend and have a "which receiver question". I was given a 2k budget and have come up with the following system:

Speakers: NOrh 4.0 Cermaics (5 total)

Subwoofer: SVS 25-31pci

DVD Player: Panny RV31

Receiver: ???????

I have about $500 left for a reciver. I have been looking at the Outlaw 1050 and the Onkyo DTR 5.2. My friend really wants DPLII so that would eliminate the Outlaw. But I think the Onkyo crossover is set to 100hz. I'm worried that either there will be a hole between 75hz and 100hz, or the sub would be too localized if set to 100hz.

What do you guys think, are my worries unfounded or are there other recievers I should look at. Any input would be appreciated

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I listened to the HK avr320 the other day, very impressive! nice sounding amps too. The only downside is no dd ex mode or variation thereof, it does however have dts-es and a form of logic 7. You can also get the denon 2802 which is very nice.

It hasn't been released yet (ETA April), but the Onkyo 600 has a MSRP of $530. It is 6.1 with 80 wpc, DPLII and the crossover can be set at 80, 100, or 120. If you want more info just go to the Onkyo website and follow the link under "whats new" on the homepage (second article I believe).

Jason_Hil

Auditioning
i think you should just compare all models such as marantz, denon, onkyo, yamaha, in that price range and decide yourself. They all provide a different sound to your speakers. Decide which sound better to you, and which features fit your needs

Jason_Hil

Auditioning
I don't think that is fair to say not to buy onkyo. It is a preference of what sound you prefer. He may like the onkyo's sound. A lot of it has to do with what speakers are paired with what reciever. My preference is the B&K recievers, but it doesn't mean that others will find it to be the best. A lot of recievers and their features do not matter. Many in the same price range offer the same features. Most are useless extra modes. What affects things are the chips, their transistors, the current highly affects the soundstage presence, and power supply. They all give a different sound to different speakers. He should test out as many as he can with the speakers he wants.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
i would highly recommend what other people have been saying about listening to all types pf brands. each one has a different sound. try them with your speakers if possible. i personaly love the way yamaha sounds for ht and musice. some people say it is too bright. but i like the brightness. same with onkyo. denon is great also. i personally feel that it is almost too warm but again that is my opinion. you may think it is perfect. your ears will be your best judge. but do try to listen to them with your speakers. this is sooooooooo important. i am getting a yamaha 2200 and i originally heard with klipsch speakers. (i do not own klipsch, i own boston acoustics) it sounded absolutely dreadful to me. (again my opinion, onother guy in there thought it was great) i then tried it with my bostons and boy what a great sound. i almost discounted that receiver all together. so take a day and listen listen and listen. when you think you are done listening, listen some more!!:) good luck!!

John_P

Agent
Thanks for your opinions everyone. I agree that B&K makes nice products, but too pricey for this application. I own a Onkyo Integra DTR7 hooked to Klipsch Chorus II's and love the sound, (this is my 3rd Integra). If I was looking for the best 2 channel amp, I would expand my selections as well as price. This would be a HT primary environment, on a budget. I didn't realize Onkyo was putting out a new line of receivers, (Integra as well - 5.3). I have heard the lower priced Denon do not auto detect the incomming signal - is this true ? Also, is the new Integra's the only ones, in this price range, with variable cross-over ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks