What's new

Another Universal Backlot Series coming (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
That is super duper. I was hoping that Universal would put out a Crosby backlot collection. I wish that The Big Broadcast was among the titles, but College Humor, Sing You Sinners, Mississippi and Welcome Stranger were on my hope list. Way to go Universal!

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sold!

The only double dip then is We're Not Dressing (and of course Mississippi for those who have the Fields PAL box)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Thank you, Universal, for continuing to fight the good fight by releasing classic films on pressed DVDs via retail outlets and TCM exclusives. I hope sales continue to be strong enough so that you can put out more such releases in 2011.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I'm happy to see Universal putting out classic films . Between the box sets and the tcm sets things look good .

Now maybe some 40s Alan Ladd and maybe Ray Milland .

The Uninvited and Alais Nick Beal sound good to me . Just to name a few .

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
This is for sure a must buy for me! I hope sales go well enough to encourage them to release a second volume (maybe through TCM), since I still want She Loves me not, Anything Goes and Dixie.

But my dream come true would be a Backlot set dedicated to Mitchell Leisen with Arise my love (or Take a Letter Darling), Hold Back the Dawn, Frenchman's Creek, Lady in the Dark, To Each His Own and Kitty.

And of course, the tons of noir gems, that still remain unreleased

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Sounds like a great set, Mississippi alone makes this a must-buy. Really glad they focus on his work in the mid-30s, but I'll never understand why they include a film like We're Not Dressing, which has already been adequately released (they did the same things with My Little Chickadee and The Egg and I)...they cant be making that much out of the double dip.

Now my only hope is that they remember Pre-Code Hollywood and schedule a follow-up collection!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by RafaelPires

This is for sure a must buy for me! I hope sales go well enough to encourage them to release a second volume (maybe through TCM), since I still want She Loves me not, Anything Goes and Dixie.

But my dream come true would be a Backlot set dedicated to Mitchell Leisen with Arise my love (or Take a Letter Darling), Hold Back the Dawn, Frenchman's Creek, Lady in the Dark, To Each His Own and Kitty.

And of course, the tons of noir gems, that still remain unreleased

I would like "Anything Goes" also!

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
Originally Posted by RafaelPires

Definitely wouldn't mind owing FRENCHMAN'S CREEK, TAKE A LETTER DARLING, KITTY and a good copy of LADY IN THE DARK. The others I have from Italian or Spanish R2 releases, but I would double dip for the other 4. Or perhaps THE MATING SEASON.

Of course a Pre-Code vol 2 with loads of Miriam Hopkins, including THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE and possibly TWO KINDS OF WOMEN, would also be fantastic.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
It's been suggested on at least one other board that a long-awaited release of classic Paramount horror titles would be nice. One Universal title I'd like to see get a release is "Girl in the Kremlin" ('57)

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Well, if they're going to go horror again, then Island of Lost Souls would be nice.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Someone at Universal must have a personal grudge against Island of Lost Souls lol.I know the source material is rather shoddy, but its not unwatchable. Still cant figure out why that one is hidden away.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
At the rate Island of Lost Souls and The Night Walker are going, those will be the last commercial VHS tapes left standing in my collection.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
whatever happened to the individual releases from the 2006 remastered HITCHCOCK BOX? at the very least I want a 2 disc set of THE BIRDS etc

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I think I remember reading that THE BIRDS was to be released as a Legacy Series set at the same time as PSYCHO, VERTIGO, and REAR WINDOW but was delayed to coincide with the remake.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I love to see The Birds being added to the Universal Legacy/Backlot Series

I want to see Airport added to this collection too

The Birds remake doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

At the rate Island of Lost Souls and The Night Walker are going, those will be the last commercial VHS tapes left standing in my collection.

And what about the THE UNINVITED?  

FrankXS

Second Unit
And what about the Alan Ladd/Veronica Lake titles/All the Mitchell Leisen films/more Claudette Colbert/Fred MacMurray or Ray Millands!

Just keep up the good work Universal but maybe a little faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks