What's new

Another Sub Calibration Question (1 Viewer)

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
I have calibrated everything in my system to 85 db using the S&V disc but because my room is quite small and the fact I don't usually listen to stuff anywhere near reference levels I feel like I should up the sub more than the recommended 2-5db. On my receiver I have the REF level at -15 (Kenwood goes from 0 to -99) but I hardly ever even listen to movies at -25 (10 from my REF level). I was wondering if I should up the bass a bit or just leave it. I like my bass and want to take advantage of my 20-39CS so I kind of feel the need to increase the bass a little, what do others think on this?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Doran

Screenwriter
brent,
what's of primary importance is that you enjoy your HT setup your way. so...if you like a little extra on the low end, then fire it up.
incidentally, i'm not sure what you mean when you say that running your sub 2-5db hot is recommended; if you want to have your sub calibrated "correctly", then it will read the same as the rest of your speakers - 85db.
i think the primary observation people make who advise against running your sub "hot", is that those who do so typically have never tried listening with the sub at the "right" level, and so have no way of knowing what they're missing - i.e. if they'd enjoy it with less bass.
for instance, i used to run with my subs REALLY hot (10-15db), but until i got an SPL and calibrated, i had no idea.
once i got everything level, it seemed to me that there was just not enough bass, since i'd become so accustomed to so much extra bottom-end. however, i stuck with it, just to give it a fair shake, and now i much prefer listening to movies and music with my subs calibrated level.
but, whatever blows your hair back. like i said, it's your system.
enjoy.
- jd

Greg Br

Second Unit
Go for it, just make sure you turn it down if you do demo anything at reference. Its your system and it does not matter what the general consensus is, I have mine +5 all the time.

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to both of you for your replies. I guess I really posted that to make sure I wasn't harming anything. I would definately re-calibrate if running anything at REF levels to make sure and not bottom the sub.
John,
I too used to run it very hot because I had no SPL meter. I got one finally and realized how off I truly was but as of right now I miss some of that low end. I won't go back to an extra 10 or 15 db as before but I've given it a little boost over the speakers.
Thanks again!

Greg Br

Second Unit
Brent,

I do not know which sub you have but what I found when using my JBL PB-12 I ran things 10-15 db's hot but never neared reference as that would destroy the sub. I since upgraded to dual svs subs and since the quality is so much superior it is not needed to run the subs that hot for it to sound good to me anymore. If you do have a lower end sub this may be occuring as well, it is tough to compare speaker settings IMO as we all have different equiptment and rooms that effect the performance.

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
incidentally, i'm not sure what you mean when you say that running your sub 2-5db hot is recommended; if you want to have your sub calibrated "correctly", then it will read the same as the rest of your speakers - 85db.
I believe he's referring to recommendations from many of the "gurus" on the forum that if you never listen at reference level, say -10 db from reference, you would boost the sub level 2-5db, since our ears aren't as sensitive at the lower volume level. I run mine 4db hot, since I usually listen at -10 db from reference, and it sounds pretty good. If I ever listen at reference (unlikely) I'd back it down to the "true" calibration levels.

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks