What's new

another Pioneer DV-37 vs Pan RP-91 question. (1 Viewer)

JoshY

Auditioning
I have read some of the archived threads about the DV-37 and the RP-91. It looks like most prefer the RP-91. My question is I am looking to get a new DVD player to match up with my new 16x9 Hitachi 43UWX10B. I would like to get the best picture quaility and one that is put together well for my money. I have a budget of around $500. I have a friend that works for a retailer that carrys both and can get me either one for under that price; with the Pioneer being actually cheaper than the Panasonic. He swears to me that the Pioneer is the one, but I see alot of people switching from the DV-37 to the RP-91. Please help as I refuse to hook up my Sony DVPS-360 to my new TV.

Thanks,

JoshY[/size][/font]

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The scaling/zoom function on the Panasonic is very useful with a 16x9 TV. It will scale non-anamorphic widescreen transfers to provide much better picture quality than the zoom mode on most 16x9 TV's. It also is a nice convenience when watching supplemental material, which tends to alternate between full frame, anamorphic and letterboxed formats. You can leave your TV in 16x9 (or FULL) mode, and let the DVD player automatically handle the aspect ratio controls.

The Pioneer does not have the above feature. I cannot comment on the other features of the Pioneer, though, or its picture quality in comparison with the Panasonic. I own the RP-91, but have never used the Pioneer.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I would like to get the best picture quaility and one that is put together well for my money.
If that is the case, the only choice is the RP-91. The Pioneer suffers from the chroma bug - and it suffers BAD! Even Secrets admitted that this was the worst case of the chroma bug they had ever seen.

I found it extremely distracting and it marred a lot of detail in an otherwise nice picture. The RP-91 has a better overall picture quality, and the lack of chroma bug puts it ahead by a significant margin. Toss in the CD-R/RW/MP3/DVD-Audio capabilities, and you've got a sure winner.

/Jeff

JoshY

Auditioning
Thanks Guys your feedback has helped me make up my mind. Looks like the RP-91 is the one.

Thanks again,

JoshY

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
Let me clarify-

the Pioneer DV-37 Chroma bug is not all that bad in comparision to a lot of other players out there. The worst I have ever seen- it makes the DV-37's a relative non-factor in comparison- is the Philips Q50.

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks